Is this the Vietnam era SAM?

is this trumpeter missle transporting the SAM used against us in Vietnam? The kit description says it comes with NVA markings.....

If not, is there a kit of the SAMS that were used in Vietnam?

thx - Craig

Craig

IIRC the only variants NOT used in Vietnam were the naval and nuclear warhead equipped ones...

Cookie Sewell AMPS

Reply to
AMPSOne

I'm waiting for the first person to do a full SAM site with 6 of these SA-2s from Trumpeter. In 1/35th it would be about 15 feet across. Now all we need are the associated Fan Song/Spoon Rest/Knife Rest/Side Net radars...

John Hairell ( snipped-for-privacy@erols.com)

Reply to
John Hairell

Thats it- SAM 2 "Guideline" The AA missile of choice for many = countries. =20

Does any one know if this kit has a launch platform included like the = old Airfix 1/72nd kit?

--=20 Les Pickstock

Reply to
Les Pickstock

Since there have been several Leopolds and a couple of Zveno's around, I don't doubt this for a minute.

Reply to
Toni Lassila

Did one in HO scale back in 1966 or so, big sucker in HO. Used all the Russki trucks that I could find and about 15lbs of Celluclay. Group Intell weinie jumped all over my rear for "using" restricted information until I showed him the issue of Time magazine that I used for a reference.

Oxmoron1

Reply to
OXMORON1

"Les Pickstock" wrote

Airfix 1/72nd kit?

One of the three new Trumpeter kits contains the launcher and SA-2 missile, Les.

The other two kits both contain the missile with slightly different versions of the transporter.

For a great overview, see:

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Carroll

I'm going to do them Egyptian .... Now I just need new Eyes to do the Antenna on the truck

Reply to
<rgoldman

In general, yes this is it. However, I seem to recall there were small variations over time, like fin shape(?) and small bits. For example, I don't recall the plumbing on photos of Six Day War era SA2s (but its been 20 years since I've looked at the photos)

Reply to
steve gallacci

Doesn't DML or someone make some viet cong figures that could be used as a crew for the truck and launcher?

Craig

Reply to
who me?

Yes, according to an officemate of mine that has had several of them shot at him...

I showed him the pictures in the review on Hyperscale today and he remarked that they looked like the "real thing"...he was pretty impressed.

Reply to
Rufus

The radars actually look pretty easy to scratchbuild...I plan to go try my hand at at least on of them - probably the Fan Song. It looks like the most challenging build.

Reply to
Rufus

Great info - thanks for the link!

Reply to
Rufus

"Kevin Carroll" wrote in news:kDTkb.2387$ snipped-for-privacy@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net:

I don't think the Airfix one has a launcher does it? I have one packed away. A company called Grom is making an SA-2 on a launcher in 1/72. Hannant's has them advertised. Next shipment from them I'm gonna get one to go with the Airfix.

Side note: The Zil truck that comes with the airfix kit is kibda lame, I bought the Trumpeter 1/72 Zil. The parts from the Airfix kit that are specific for the tractor fit on the Trumpeter kit pretty good.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Yes, according to an officemate of mine that has had several of them shot at him...

I showed him the pictures in the review on Hyperscale today and he remarked that they looked like the "real thing"...he was pretty impressed

There's something about eye witness testimony......

Reply to
dave

The Airfix kit definately had the launcher with it. The kit was = supposed to be the start of a new series which at the time comprised the = Bloodhound and the SAM. Shame it never got of the ground, excuse the = pun.

--=20 Les Pickstock

Reply to
Les Pickstock

Is this possibly a misprint? I'm a pretty faithful reader of "Hyperscale" and I can't find a review of the Trumpeter SA-2......but if it's someplace else, I'd love to see it.

Any further info greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Carroll

Oooops...not that faithful evidently! I got it.

Thanks.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Carroll

He's living history, alright. Two tours - one enlisted and one as a WSO in the back seat of F-4E's out of Da Nang and Takli. Stayed in the USAF and flying until '92, as I recall him telling me. When he talks, I listen.

He talks about the SA-2's being fired in pairs - it was usually the second one that got you while you were padlocked and evading the first.

Reply to
Rufus

The link on Hyperscale is actually a link to the Testors Workshop, now that I look closely. It was posted on 17 Oct...here's the link:

Rufus