Israeli Lavi Kit?

Has anyone ever released a kit of the Israeli Lavi aircraft?

Greg

Reply to
GregD

No. F-21 was the IAI Kfir, an Israeli version of the Mirage V re-engined with the GE J-79 engine (same as used in the F-4 Phantom II).

Lavi is more like an F-16.

Reply to
Gary Kato

Okay, thanks. -- John ___ __[xxx]__ (o - ) --------o00o--(_)--o00o-------

The Old Timer

ISTR about 15+ years ago, Gerald Elliott, now Sanger Models, announced a

1/72 vac, but I don't think it ever was released. Maybe he'll do it under his Sanger name.
Reply to
Frank May

FYI there was some Israeli LAVI in Nellis for Red Flag .. carrying Python 5! Nice to look at, wonderful desert camo paint job.

PAt

"Gary Kato" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m14.aol.com...

Reply to
patrick savoie

Yes, Lavi shared a lot of design features with the F-16, kind of a cross between the F-16 and the X-31 or maybe Typhoon. I was hoping someone had released it in kit form. Does anyone have access to the old article mentioned?

Some Lavi links:

GregD

Reply to
GregD

You sure they had Lavis at Nellis??

Reply to
Frank May

I'm going to stick my neck out here - always a dangerous thing among modellers, but I figure, what the hell - and say: F-16's at Nellis? Yes that's possible. Lavi's at Nellis? Don't think so. And here's why...

However, like the Hasegawa F2 and the F-16XL version, its an interesting addition to the F-16 family. Though why they bother.... Chek

Reply to
Chek

better read up on it. the plane was /is 1000X better then the 16 in every way. that's why when the project ended that American firms were trying to buy engrs who were working at IAI and get them to sell program data. etc.

Reply to
<rgoldman

One of the reasons the Lavi had such a 16ish look was that GD was helping them on the project, just as they did with Taiwan on their indigenous fighter, there was no need to "buy" engineers. As to the statement "1000X better then the 16 in every way", that is just plain ludicrous. The Israelis wanted to develop their own fighter (with the help from GD) but in the long run it was turning out to be very expensive for what they were getting and yes there was some pressure form the US to canx the project, in the end it was they could get more return, both money wise and political wise to continuing to buy American. But in truth it sure was not the ?super? fighter you make it to be. Oh and by the way, it seems the Israelis are recouping some of their developmental cost as that new Red Chinese fighter bears a very strong resemblance to the Lavi

Regards Jim Barr

J Barr

I could be mistaken .... at Nellis there were Israeli a/c ... that I'm sure of since I was on the flightline and saw the groundcrew & the markings from close. Close enough to feel the jet blast.

They looked like F-16s but the duals had a very long dorsal extension .. from the canopy all the way back past the vertical stabilizer. If they were simply F-16s, then they have been heavily modified (very likely for the IAF).

I thought these a/c were Lavis since that was the flightline rumour. I know for sure that the a/c carried the Python 5 missiles having seen them and knowing the difference between the model 4 & 5.

Anyone know of specific differences betrween the Lavi & F-16?

"GregD" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@post>

Reply to
patrick savoie

Yes, those were variants of the F-16D. If I remember right, the hump has extra EW gear.

Reply to
Gary Kato

"patrick savoie" waxed lyrical news:f3J3b.34300$ snipped-for-privacy@weber.videotron.net:

Different engine, different airframe layout (Lavi was a canard fighter), different radar, different cockpit, different canopy, different ejector seats (getting the idea? ;))

Reply to
Drewe Manton

A buddy of mine flew F-15s for the IAF at Red Flag. The IAF had only F-16 and F-15 fighters there.

Reply to
Lawrence Nyveen

Dude I worked the security detail at IAI when the program was ended and our job was to insure the data never left the plant, we used to have to search all the guys leaving the buildings and we found more disks with the stuff that GD and the rest of the Aviation world was willing to pay for, so as for being ludicrous the only one doing that is you by making that statement.

Reply to
<rgoldman

some guys don't.;-)

Reply to
<rgoldman

Nellis>F-16's at Nellis? Yes that's possible.

the Israeli Air Force does not have any Lavi's, so i doubt it was over at Nellis. the 1 or 2 remaining Lavi's that weren't scrapped are used by IAI as technology demonstrators, at least according to my cousin, EWO Yuri Laffer of the Israeli Air Force.

Sean Neilan Peace leads to strength. Strength leads to war. War leads to weakness. Weakness leads to peace.

Imagine what we will learn when people are not afraid to ask whatever they wish?- JH

If sense is so common, why do so few people have it?

Reply to
IncubusNitemare

after the program was closed IAI SOLD data. get a clue

Reply to
<rgoldman

Reply to
J Barr