Italeri F-18E (was: Most Common Modeling Mistakes)

Unh Huh! A friend of mine keeps referring to them as "Shitalerii", and

> worse after she tried their F-18E kit. > > Bill Shuey

OK, after the hammering this kit has taken on this thread, I've got to ask: what's so horrible about it?

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

wrong landing gear wrong pylons has F18C speed brake poor nosewheel well detail crappy cockpit

tony

Reply to
Tony

1) Fit.

2) See #1.

3) It has a speedbrake between the tails. The real thing doesn't.

4) The pylons are A/B/C/D pylons - not E/F.

5) The pylons are not toed out 4 degrees like the on the real jet.

6) The landing gear are A/B/C/D landing gear - not E/F.

7) The ALE-50 standoff is missing.

8) The fuel tank is the wrong size.

9) Most of the panel lines are off.

10) The intake trunks are about 1/2 the length they should be.

11) The engine faces at the end of the intake trunks are about 1/2 the size they should be.

12) The fit sucks.

13) The cockpit is a POOR rendition of a C/C cockpit - w/ a decal for the MIP.

14) The cockpit glareshield is too long.

15) The included ordnance is poor.

16) They include an LST/SCAM for station 7...not on an E/F, you don't.

...that's just off the top of my head...and did I mention that the fit SUCKS? "Shitalleri" is being kind...

Reply to
Rufus

I won't dispute your remarks, but isn't that the case with about 95% of all kits produced? There's a reason there's a large aftermarket industry supplying things like cockpits, landing gears, and wheel well details, and for good reason (well, from a certain point of view). That leaves 2 errors on the kit, neither of which will even be spotted by those not very familiar with the original. Certainly not good, but then, how many kits you know of are 100% accurate?

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

snipped-for-privacy@mail.com (Rob van Riel) waxed lyrical news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

The biggest problem with the Italeri Super Bug is that it's crap. Leaving aside the above issues it has poor fit, awful intakes and soft detail. I spent six weeks wrestling one into submission earlier this year - never again, life is too short. It's on Hyperscale if anyone's interested.

Reply to
Drewe Manton

OK, I'm convinced. This one gets moved from the "build as is" to the "needs surgery" department.

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

Surgery?? More like "Put it out of it's misery" department!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

In article , William H. Shuey writes

Give it to a ten year old more like, someone who'd appreciate it!

Reply to
John Halliwell

What have you got against that poor 10-year-old? Are you trying to drive more kids away from the hobby?

Reply to
Jeff C

More like "needs euthenasia"...wait for a good one.

Reply to
Rufus

More like not know any better...

Reply to
Rufus

Don't be a fool. Put it on ebay and make a fortune - just call it 'rare' or 'out of production' or something....

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
Rob Grinberg