Jadgpanther question

I have a 1/25 Academy Jadgpanther I made some time ago. To make it more "aggressive" I added a rack of spare tracks on the front glacis. I am having some doubts now as I have never come across a photo of this tank hunter with tracks on the glacis. Should I remove it from my model?

Reply to
PaPa Peng

Just build the model to please yourself , don't worry too much about the accuracy police and rivet counters. Besides just because you can't find a picture of this set up dosen't mean it was never done.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

It all depends on your personal philosophy of building. There is no "accuracy police" who pass judgement on your model (unless you enter it into a contest). Some builders just want to evoke a sense of the period, others want to document a specific vehicle on a specific date in history as accurately as they can, given the always limited information available (there have been a few cases, mainly from the Desert Storm or Operation Iraqi Freedom campaigns, where a modeler can actually interview and get personal photos from a vehicle's crewman, and actually get nearly everything right). The latter approach is obviously more work, and you do risk burnout on a project that never seems to end. You just need to set benchmarks before you start, deciding how far you are going to go, so you can actually finish the project. When adding details or modifications, it isn't necessary to document absolutely everything, but it does help to think like the soldier in the field. In the case of your Jagdpanther, you don't see tracks on the glacis because it was very thick and steeply angled, so enemy projectiles would usually deflect harmlessly. An obstacle on the surface, like a track link, might actually give the projectile more traction, allowing it to dig in and penetrate the armor. Thus, spare links on the glacis might actually put the vehicle at greater risk. Allied tanks had less steeply sloped armor (or vertical, in the case of some British designs), so tracks as standoff armor make more sense. You also see these modifications on older German tanks, like the Panzer IV. Gerald Owens

Reply to
Gerald Owens