Large scale Vulcan?

In article , Keeper writes

Sadly, I believe not - there was a report that one group who are trying to get their Vulcan back in the air had a look at it, and concluded that it wasn't even any use for spares.

I understand it's CAA regulations that stop a lot of the more recent military types leaving the ground. I believe some of the Vulcans in private hands are still capable of making taxi runs but the Blackpool one isn't one of those.

I understand the US government only stopped sales after there were law suites from people injured driving ex-military jeeps. The example of the US in suing everyone for everything is catching on over here too, with horrendous consequences - for example, many riding schools are going out of business because they can't afford the levels of liability insurance they now need, but the UK doesn't have equine liability exemption legislation that I understand exists in the US. There's no chance of getting any either, with the current governments neglect of/antipathy towards the needs of rural communities.

Regards,

Reply to
Moramarth

Puts an end to that nasty fox hunting, eh? Chasing them on foot would be no contest. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Moramarth wrote: : : I understand the US government only stopped sales after there were law : suites from people injured driving ex-military jeeps. : That applied specifically to the M-151 "Mutt", with its independent suspension. Doesn't stop the Hummer. Sigh.

And, actaully, the US military was starting to transfer equipment to civilians (with the proper paperwork!) when the loon pulled his stunt in the M-60 in San Diego around '95. Suddenly, that program died...

: The example of : the US in suing everyone for everything is catching on over here too, : with horrendous consequences - for example, many riding schools are : going out of business because they can't afford the levels of liability : insurance they now need, : Developers must be licking their chops, however. Perhaps that is why their isn't any exemptions?

The US federal gubmint has done many incredible stupid things. Forcing retroactive liability on private plane manufactuers about killed civil aviation, and hiting power boat manufactuers with that "luxury tax" drove them all to the Bahamas...

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

I think one of the taxiable ones has actually fractionally left the ground - nose wheel up and main gear on verge of lifting

Reply to
Martin

Thank you. I noticed that you now have to email the seller to become an approved bidder. A wise move probably suggested by Ebay. Cheers, The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

In article , Mad Modeller writes

Err... Up here in the Lakes, that's exactly what we do! The Fell Packs (the Blencathra, the Coniston, the Eskdale and Ennerdale, the Lunesdale, the Melbreak, and the Ullswater) are all followed on foot, and (IIRC) always have been. Over rough terrain fox, man and hound (the latter bred somewhat lighter than those of other packs) are pretty much on an even footing, but not even a Cumbrian Fell Pony (tough and agile little buggers though they are) can stay with them. There's a whitewashed rock on the side Lord's Seat above the Swan Hotel; one night after a certain amount of imbibing a local gentleman bet he could ride his pony up the end of the nearest spur (it's actually called Barf - I kid you not!) and the rock indicates where they reached before the inevitable fatal slip - IIRC, it's barely a third of the way up...

Cheers,

Reply to
Moramarth

Considering the pics I've seen of your locale I think the job is best left to the young. I have serious concerns that I could stagger up some of those hills, let alone run. :|

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Do forgive my unfamiliarity but are these lineages fox or hound? tia,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

In article , Keeper writes

I think the words "Pack" and "Hunt" are pretty much synonymous in this context, but in some cases the Hunt was established round what had previously been a privately owned pack; however, even after they became Subscription Hunts many packs continued to be primarily financed by their Master at his own expense. (I think at least one of them - Blencathra? - are in theory supposed to return the pack to the family of the original - 19th Century - owners if they stop hunting.) When I first started trying conversion work in my late teens there were a series of articles on building WW2 "Hunt" Class Escort destroyers in Airfix Magazine - I tried my hand at Blencathra and Melbreak, I think the latter survives in a damaged condition in a box somewhere inaccessible in the depths of the spare room.

You're welcome

Cheers,

Reply to
Moramarth

The Old Timer formulated the question :

It's a piece of junk. The only thing holding it together is the paint, and that hasn't been renewed since 1982. Undercarriage cracked, cockpit vandalised, exhaust cowls missing. It goes up for sale every now and again, but never sells, as the owner wants too much. I understand in this case he's been told to shift it (it's a danger to the public, being in such a poor state) or it will be demolished for him. There is no chance of moving it without it falling apart, IMHO. Airworthy ? It's not even in static condition.

Damian

Reply to
Damian

Pity.....

The Old Timer

The Old Timer expressed precisely :

What you need is one of these

they are a fine bunch of people, too

Damian

Reply to
Damian

The Old Timer used his keyboard to write :

Sold, to the fellow in the corner for £15,102.03

'm still really interested to know how he's going to get it home.......in as few pieces as possible :-)

Damian

Reply to
Damian