Late flying boats

Saw some books on some late flying boats, like the Martin Mars, Mariner, and the Seamaster. Were any of these ever kitted?

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Revell did a box-scale Martine Seamaster, a later WWII PBM-3 (IIRC) Mariner and a Convair R3Y-2 Tradewind. Hasegawa did a late-version Martin P-5 Marlin and although you didn't mention it, a Japanese Shin Meiwa, both in 1:72. I ~think~ that Contrail (Sutcliff) may have done a Mars, but really can't say for certain.

On a related topic, I ran across a very old "Popular Mechanics" which showed a Convair Tradewind which must have been redesigned by someone from Dornier. A stub airframe with engines and a similar one at the tail connected two complete fuselages. This monster was supposed to carry some 900 troops, IIRC, but its been a while since I had the article out.

Reply to
Old Timer

If you stick to 1/72 scale almost everything has been done.

Martin Mars vacuforms from Contrail and later from Combat; Seamaster vacuforms by Airmodel later from Combat; Marlin from Hasegawa; Mariner vacuforms from Execuform and Rareplane, injection molded from Mach 2.

ESM 72 Vol.5,#4 offered listings with many illustartions of all flying boats. seaplanes and floatplanes ever produced in 1/72 scale. Vol.5 (as all back issues of MAI) is $25 ($30 outside the US). Listings updates continue in later issues. We are currently preparing Vol.8,#4 for publication. Please contact us for more nformaton.

You may also want to look into the IPMS Seaplanes SIG.

Tom

Old Timer wrote:

Reply to
maiesm72

Martin Seamaster - 1/136 scale Martin Mariner - 1/110 Convair Tradewind - 1/166

They were mostly very nice kits. My Tradewind had excessive riveting that was removed by sanding. The props could contra-rotate if you desired. Nose was openable but I shut mine permanently and had some filing to do for good fit. It would be usable in an N scale diorama.

Like a lot of Revell kits from that era the Seamaster was a little confused as to what version it was. I got mine in the 'Masterpiece' boxing.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller