"Lets Roll" Who owns the rights to it

I'm looking at my new issue of Professional Pilot and on page 70 there is an article on "Flying the Sikorsky S-92. On the right sponson it has that "Lets Roll" symbol that you see on lots of military aircraft. Does any one know if this is copyrighted material?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Jahn

Someone tried to copyright it soon after 9/11, and failed, I think.

Reply to
Tom Cervo

The family of the gentleman (who's name escapes me...) who said it on Flight

93 tried, I believe, to become the rights holder to that phrase.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Beckman

His name was Todd Beamer if I remember correctly...

Jetsonik

My opinion is that it is a common American phrase like OK, (okie dokie, etc.), road trip, lock and load, rock n'roll, smoke em if you got em, etc.

How can you trademark a phrase that's been common usage for decades? Rob Gronovius Visit my motor pool in the

gallery

Reply to
Rob Gronovius

I remember in Thailand in 1970 we had a launch truck driver who would use that phrase to hurry people up to get on the truck. Common usage made famous by horrific circumstances.

Mike G

Reply to
Mike Goldsbury

Let's see...Neil Young did a song called "Let's Roll" not long ago, and I'll bet THAT'S copyrighted...

As for the ORIGINAL reference...anyone's guess.

Reply to
Rufus

Didn't Magic Johnson copyright "3-peat", or some spelling?..

Reply to
Rufus

IIRC it was Pat Riley...

Reply to