Liquid masking agents

are there any that anyone uses with real success? Are there any real tips/ tricks I need to know? Masking canopies with any type of tape or foil is a real PITA, so I thought about using liquids. I've tried a couple different brands for various things, but had problems with paint lifting and scratching the underlying surface when removing it, whether it was paint or clear plastic. One type I have is a latex/ ammonia mix, so I know that won't work over MM acrylics (tried it with bad results).

Reply to
Disco58

I hate masking canopies. I've used some liquid mask I got from MicroMark, I think it's liquitex. I used it over Tamiya with decent success. You could try a thin coat of future before masking so add another layer of protection to whatever's under the mask. Let it cure really well first.

Reply to
TF

I've never been able to get them to work for precise jobs, like canopies. However, I find them quite useful in situations where you basically need a stopper to plug up some hole, like a jet intake. I stick in a piece of paper roughly the right size, and then fill the gaps with masking liquid. Spray over the lot, then drag the blob of masking ex-liquid out along with the paper.

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

The liquid mask could well take the Future off - most of them are ammoniacal.

Tamiya tape works well enough for me :-)

Reply to
Alan Dicey

Well, being really set in my ways or maybe I just like the smell : are there any that anyone uses with real success? Are there any real

Reply to
Tom

I am finally starting to get the stuff to work. It takes practice. It has a shallow learning curve (that means difficult- a STEEP learning curve means it is easy to learn!). I find I have to apply it very thick, and not brush too much. Otherwise the "brush marks" are areas with little or no masking action. Also, if it is thin it can be VERY difficult to remove fully.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Been there, done that. Try Maskol from Humbrol, or Micromask from Microscale. But if you think masking with Tamiya tape is a PITA, wait till you try one of these two...

Stick a piece of 3M tape over the masked area and pull. Plan B: put a narrow band of masking tape under the liquid mask, with one end sticking out. When the mask is try, you just have to pull on the tape to lift the whole mask.

The trick here is to remove the mask as soon as the paint is dry. The longer you wait, the more it sticks to the surface.

Reply to
Serge D. Grun