Martin P5M Marlin

At the IPMS(UK) Sacle Model World Show last weekend I won a copy of the Hasegwawa 1/72 scale kit of this aircraft.

Has anyone else out there built this kit? What aftermarket accesories available are suitable? And are there any Mircoscale decal sheets available? Sheet no's please. Any suitable www site references for the type.

I haven't built a flying boat before so HELP!!!!

Answers to r.m.s please.

Trevor

Reply to
87015

MGFoster

thanks muchly! tis very kind of you and will make life much easier.

trevor.

Reply to
87015

I bought the same kit recently, but in its much older incarnation. That means completely yellow decals. A pointer to good quality decals would be much appreciated; not necessarily aftermarket, mind you, if someone has replaced the original decals with an aftermarket set, good quality Hasegawa decals would be just fine for me, provided they come with instructions.

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

Rob, I have the boxing of this kit with the "Hales" label print on the front and includes Aeronavale markings too. Is this the one that you have?

I am doing my P5M as a mobile (suspended from the ceiling) for my 15 month old niece. It will be in RAF markings and bright colors (international orange and shades of gray) as a rescue flying boat.

Has to be done like this as there isn't the place to display it where I live.

It seems (the moldings) a very reasonable kit.

Trevor

Reply to
87015

Get 'em while they're young...... what do the parents think of this plan?

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Sounds about right. I'd have to consult the stash for details. I'm certain it has both USN and Aeronavale on the sheet though.

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

Nothing! They don't know yet!, and won't know until the model is finished. I plan on doing it as a 1970's 'what if' model. imagine a P5M in international orange and grays in full Royal Air Force markings, as an ASR 'boat.

Talking of 'what ifs', someone at IPMS Mercia told me last week about one that really has me laughing. A 1/48 scale Eurofighter Typhoon in same scale WW2 Luftwaffe Eastern Front markings and paint scheme!

Trevor

Reply to
87015

A good many years back there was an IPMS Golden Gate member, Craige Burke, who did scores of "What If" aircraft, etc.

My favorites included a "Vatican Air Force" Supermarine S.6B on wheels painted in gold and silver with the Papal seal for markings; a B-17 fuselage converted to a mobil home, a fighter camoflaged in countryside copied from a National Geographic with cattle crossing yellow warning signs for markings and a Japanese carrier with the deck converted to a "lagoon", complete with palm trees and sandy beaches, for floatplanes.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Thgis one isn't so far off the mark. I remember an old television show, "Real People" or "That's Incredible", can't remember which, showed a guy who made a custom RV. It was made out of the fuselage of a DC-3. He drove from the original cockpit, and the only things missing were the wings and tail empennage. The fuselage was mounted on a truck chassis, I think, or a large bus chassis, and actually got reasonable fuel milage. That was in 1980 or '81.

The Old Timer

Something like this?

Darren J Longhorn

custom RV. It was made out of the fuselage of a

It mentioned a previous owner that put it on the bus chassis, so it looks to be the one. Thanks!

The Old Timer

One of the big British flying boats, Singapore maybe, was converted to a houseboat.

A Walrus was also converted to a house trailer, IIRC.

Then there all of the airliner restaurants.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

One of the Dutch East Indies Do 24s that escaped to Australia eventually ended up as a houseboat on the Darling River. "The Legacy of the DC-3" by Henry Holden (Niceville, FL:Wind Canyon Publishing, 1996) shows pictures of a DC-3 motorhome (pp.289-90) in New South Wales, Australia. And wasn't one of the Boeing 307s converted into a houseboat somewhere in Florida? No doubt that's where those chuckleheads in Washington got the idea of trying to land the 307 in Puget Sound ;-}

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

what are the aircraft that are converted to fast, long distance boats on the amazon? saw some on lonely planet and wouldn't that make a diorama?

[stuff removed]

it does. the kit decal sheet markings are NOT as good as modern standards would expect so when you find it in your stash, you may reach for the aftermarket stash of decals too.

trevor.

Reply to
87015

I think I've seen that one on an issue of Popular Mechanics, too...

-- __________ ____---____ Marco Antonio Checa Funcke \_________D /-/---_----' Santiago de Surco, Lima, Peru _H__/_/

'-_____|(

remove the "no_me_j." and "sons.of." parts before replying

Reply to
machf

I was watching one program on the Travel Channel a few weeks back that showed off one fellow's Boeing 307 converted to a boat. :=(

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

I considered pasting WWI lozenge decals on a Stuka. It didn't seem too anachronistic.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

that was very cool. the guy knew his shit.