Me 109T wingfold ??

Hi all, does anyone have or know where on web I can find photos/drawings of Me-109T wingfold?? I don't even know in whic stile their wings are folded- up ( like on F4U) or aside ( like on Ju87 and Hellcat)?? Any help is very appreciated. TIA Slider

Reply to
MarioG

Dunno but I did a google search a year or two ago and did find some pics of the Stuka and 109.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hiett

Slider;

None of the Bf109T aircraft had folding wings. Having said that I did have a diagram which depicted a wing fold line just outboard of the cannons. It appeared that the wings fold upward like the Corsair. I expect that this wing fold would have been incorporated in the Bf109T if development had continued. The Schiffer book on the German carrier Graf Zeppelin also mentions that the flaps had to be removed manually to permit the wing fold. I don't know where the flaps were put after removal. Maybe they would have been placed on top of the wing stub like the Barracuda aircraft the British flew. I can't see that the removed flaps would have been physically separated from the aircraft by any great distance in the event the aircraft had to be prepared for immediate launch. The wing fold mechanism on the Bf109T was to be a manual system, just like the Seafire III (but not a double folding wing). If I can find my diagram I'll scan it and send it to you. We've just renovated the house so a lot of my stuff is put away.

HTH

Paul

Reply to
Paul O'Reilly

[...]

FWIW the following is a quote from "Sea Eagles - The Messerschmitt 109T" by Francis L Marschall. Under Technical Characteristics of the Bf109T pg 16

"The wing had no provision for folding, a technique used by many other navies to accomadate aircraft on existing carriers. It was unnecessary as from the start the carrier was designed around the planned aircraft complement, the lifts being big enough to accomate them." PT

Reply to
Giessenlad

" Thanks , guys !! Although, it's a great dissapointment - it would be a great little diorama, wouldn't it ?? Thanks again, Best regards, Slider

Reply to
MarioG

I think whoever wrote that in the Schiffer book was blowing smoke. First, there would be no particular advantage to detachable flaps, since the predicated fold (I've seen that drawing too) was too far outboard. Much further inboard, and the folded machines might not have fit in the hangar due to height. The whole notion of folding is also questionable even as a development, since the 'T' would easily fit on the Graf Spee's elevator without folding. As far as I know, the only intended German carrier-based airplane to ever be designed for folding wings was the Fi

167, where they folded horizontally towards the tail.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Mark:

There was a folding wing Stuka designed and at least a dozen were completed. Wing fold on the stuka was similar to the way the Grumman F4F wing folded, the wing rotated and laid back along the fuselage.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Anyone out there have the pics or side wiew of those Ju87 ?? Color sheme, side markings, serials ?? TIA, Slider

Reply to
MarioG

air enthusiast # 92 march/april 2001 has a good artical on the graf zeppelin's aircraft withcolour schemes . ken

Reply to
allenx3

Last member of the Hipper Cruisers Class was to be completed as a carrier. Project never got past the drawings stage.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

I don't think any other photographs exist aside from these two:

-- __________ ____---____ Marco Antonio Checa Funcke \_________D /-/---_----' Santiago de Surco, Lima, Peru _H__/_/

'-_____|(

remove the "no_me_j." and "sons.of." parts before replying

Reply to
machf