Methylethyl Cholride (MEK) as a glue

Someone posted about using Methyethyl Chloride and how inexpensive it was as a plastic solvent. IIRC a few years ago (like 20) a warning came out about using this stuff as it will absorb through the skin and the vapors from it can be lethal as it will destroy the liver. Don't want to raise a stink about it , but modelers should know about the potential harm from using MEK. Of course, I'm making the assumption (and we all know about those) that this is the same or at least a chemically related material. Cliff Davis IPMS / USA 3687 Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Reply to
Cliff Davis

MEK is MethylEthylKetone

Reply to
famvburg

Methyl Ethyl Kill-ya. Handle with care.

WmB

WmB

Cliff,

What is commonly called "MEK" is Methyl Ethyl Ketone, not Methylene Chloride.

MEK does have its hazards, I am sure, and probably it is to some extent "transdermal", meaning it can be absorbed through the skin.

However, MEK is sold in just about every discount department store paint department, home improvement stores, hardware stores and lumberyards across the country, so it does stand to reason that CPSC etc., do not have a huge concern over it, at least not to this point.

My point is, I never have more than 4 fluid ounces of MEK exposed to air at any one time, and then only when I clean my airbrush, or use it as liquid cement on a model project--one small brushfull at a time, and that with exhaust system running in my work area. Compared to the clouds of sulphur dioxide I breathe when I'm on the street corner, or in traffic, I'd say that such risks as I might run from my limited, and miniscule use of MEK pale by comparison.

Therefore, I just don't think I will get too exercised about worrying over this one.

AA

Reply to
EmilA1944

Heh Heh.

Amazing what our brains can rationalize.

Remember when lead chromate was the primary red pigment in paints? 'Must've been pretty safe, the stuff was everywhere...

No worries....

Remember, dead brain cells are not replaced...

Take care of your body and your body will take care of you. Be careful, be safe, be smart, think but don't overrationalize....

Danny

Reply to
Danny Stone

Danny,

Well, I don't think I am "rationalizing" anything here. Why don't we try "common sense", huh? After all, every chemical known to man, including Dihydrogen Oxide and O2 can be fatal, if mis-used. Actually, if misused, even the styrene plastic from which the models we talk about in this newsgroup is hazardous, did you know that? Not only that, but every paint, including all the acrylics we can possibly access, are hazardous to our health if misused. So, now what is your problem with all that?

I merely pointed out that the small amounts of Methyl Ethyl Ketone I use for airbrush cleaning and gluing styrene parts together really presents a very limited exposure, and you ridicule that as well? Sheesh! Maybe you should give up plastic modeling and go carve clay figures, or take up painting? (on second thought, make that egg-tempera paints--at least those might be edible!).

Not only that, but I did point out that MEK is NOT Methylene Chloride, but rather Methyl Ethyl Ketone, got it?

BTW, the most hazardous byproduct of the automotive catalytic converter IS sulphur dioxide, which upon contact with Dihydrogen Dioxide becomes H2SO4! Oh, and what is Dihydrogen Dioxide? Well, pretty simple, it's WATER!

AA

Reply to
EmilA1944

So I guess the the couple of 1/2 litre cans a day I used to use for cleaning purposes didn't do me any good at all....................

Reply to
IanDTurner

Whoa, dude, calm down!

Common sense is exactly what I'm advising. And just because a chemical is widely available does not mean it's harmless. Furthermore, a small exposure alone -a as a singular event - may not be harmful. But the cumulative effects of multiple small exposures over time can be dramatic, even dehabilitating.

I'm not arguing that there are not more dangerous chemicals. But many chemicals that we use on a daily basis - whether it is in our hobby, other hobbies, at home, or in our work - deserve more than a cavalier attitude to their use. This is true whatever the chemical may be, be it Methylene Chloride, Methyl Ethyl Ketone, Methel Ethel Keytone Peroxide, or as you point out, water, oxygen, sulfur dioxide, or sulphuric acid.

I apologize that my post offended, you, I did not mean it as a personal attack.

Perhaps I should explain my position - I am an engineer (electrical) with significant expeience in the chemistry, use, and and production of industrail chemicals. I - and my relatives in the medical profession - have seen way too many cases of people (old and young alike) seriously injured through the prolonged careless use of seemingly innocuous, quite ordinary, commonly available chemicals.

My point is to seek out the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS - which are now widely available on the web) for the chemicals that you use regularly and are unfamiliar with. Read them, understand them, and observe the precautions. Use real common sense, and not a cavalier attitude. It isn't about a single exposure, but prolonged exposure over time.

As for cleaning airbrushes, MEK is at its most hazardous in aerosol form, especially in confined spaces, such a household garage. I hope you are also using a solvent recovery system in addition to venting.

By the way, NOBODY calls water Dihydrogen Oxide in the real world.

Danny

Reply to
Danny Stone

'Depends on how you're using it... Might be, might not be...

Oh, you aren't by chance using it for "internal" cleaning are you? That would be no good at all!

;)

Danny

Reply to
Danny Stone

I've been around MEK by the gallons at times over the last 20+ years as an airplane mechanic. Speaking of lead in (or no longer in, actually) paints, I'm sure if MEK was as lethal as some make it out to be, it would have as much restriction to acquire as Freon R-12 was, or be removed from 'general' marketing. I remember in the mid '60s when I was a little kid model glue was sold from behind the counter in some stores, maybe all, & my mom or dad had to be there with me to get it. Remember, it not only glues models, it's good for sniffing. Mentioning clay modeling reminded me of something. ISTR seeing something on TV news years ago about folks who eat clay, as in 'dirt' for either some sort of religious or medical reason, I think both here & Africa, & something in the clay, maybe lead, that was causing them some sort of health problem(s). I also remember a few years ago when the cool thing to do was spray paint or cooking spray like 'Pam' in a brown bag & breathe it in. I have a friend who manages the pharmacy at WaMart. Under 21 years old & want to get drunk? Buy a bottle of cheap cough syrup, liquid cold medicine or cheap mouthwash. It's legal for under 21. Happens a lot. Yep, everything we're around can be dangerous if misused. Like we pointed out, MEK isn't Methyl Ethyl Chloride, but what is Methyl Ethyl Chloride?

Reply to
famvburg

Reply to
Ron

I don't care what is said on this thread: MEK will kill you if use it on a daily schedule. Its bad production for human beings. Its your brain cells. Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown