Need advice on solid modeling material

Hello,

I want to make gator jaws. I am using for some pointers. Specifically, I am looking for some material which can be used on top of a wire frame to add body to the skeleton. Please note that I am no sculptor, so plaster of paris is out of question. I thought about paper pulp. I am not even sure if it is even sold at craft stores.

Any other userful pointers will be highly appreciated.

Regards.

Ash

Reply to
Ash

Paper pulp is sold as Celluclay. Mix with water, forms a clay-like paper-mache substance.

You might also try bake-hardening clays, like Sculpey or Super Sculpey, or two-part epoxy putties, like Milliput or Magicsculp.

Steve H

Ash wrote:

Reply to
snh9728

Reply to
Grandpa

Steve,

Thanks for that useful info. I was able to get celluclay from the local craft store. Other stuff was not available there and they had no idea. Where can I get the bake-hardening clays etc., web, mail order perhaps?

Regards.

Ash

Reply to
Ash

Try Fimo or Sculpy plasticene clay. You can press it over your wire form and then bake it in an oven (you kitchen oven) to harden it.

Reply to
Rufus

I don't know about the Sculpys; where I live Michael's, a craft store chain, carries them. Milliput is a hobby shop thing (but a Google search discloses lots of places willing to sell it to you over the Internet), and fairly expensive. MagicSculp has a website

and sells over the internet.

Another possibility is air-hardening "clays", like Das Pronto or Paperclay

Again, a cursory Google search showed lots of possibilities. I've used Das Pronto to make little blobby things, and it was reasonably good, although you can't work fine detail into a surface like you can with Milliput.

Steve H

Ash wrote:

Reply to
snh9728

I make my diaroama scenes from paper towels soaked in dilute white glue. You'll be amazed as to how strong the stuff is when dry, especially if you overlay several layers. The best part is when wet the paper towel material is soft and flexible enough for you to drape over to conform to a 3D shape, or if there is a gap in the wire frame, to span the gap.

In grade school we used to cut up old newspapers into strips then soak them in corn flour starch and use them as papier-mâché. That was a lot of work and real messy.

Reply to
klmok