Need guitar advice

One of y'all is an axe man I think. My girlie girl has decided she wants a guitar, pink of course, for Christmas.

At 7 we aren't gonna spend a lot, but I do want it to be a decent starter for her if she likes it. I beleive I already know I want an acousitc with nylon strings. I also know to get the accessory pack to include a tuner, etc. I'm just pondering on how big/small to go. She's 7 and the smallest girl in her class. She's a munchkin and she'll probably stay that way.

Don't want to go to small as it will seem a toy. 1/2 size 30" seems to be to small but the 3/4 at 38" will be to big. 34"? 36"? Is there a way to judge short of taking her somewhere? Which would kinda spoil the surprise, I did say I needed to email Santa. Height, weight, length of arms and fingers?

Any other advice would be welcome.

Email direct so we don't clutter up the joint. snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Thanks very much.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

youi say your daughter is 7? Her interests will change by the minute at that age so so Gibson axes ! If near a guitar center they always have starter Fender Squire Strat kits ready to go for just this situation. they do make a smaller "bullet" model but it I'd stay away from the kiddie size stuff. Stay away from the junk that Target, ToysRUs sell. A basic Fender strat will do her just fine. You sure you are gonna go electric. The starter sets usually come with a small Fender amp.

Here is a link to the kit. No choice of colors though, but you can put stickers on it instead or something.

Remember there are also acoustic guitars.

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

oops - here is the link.

Musicman59

Crap, just read it closer. You want acoustic. Colors will be available, but only in the junk guitars. If you want a good, small guitar, you cannot go wrong with the Little Martin acoustic. Small and stays in tune forever. I have one and it is great, loud and perfect. Around $280. She could keep this one forever too.

Musicman59

The Baby Taylor is also a nice acoustic - a friend of mine bought one for his six year old and I spent an evening playing it and was pretty impressed. Nice sound, nice action...great traveling guitar for an adult because of it's smaller size.

Couldn't go wrong with either one of these, IMO.

Reply to
Rufus

and it comes with one of the best gig bags you will ever find.....

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

Just wanted to give advice on 2 very reliable guitars. Resisted the temptation to suggest something low end as many kids have lost interest on an instrument that wont' stay in tune, etc. If its a hassle to play, then its hard to stick with it.

but as long as your kid is interested in music, then it really does not matter what she plays, as long as she plays.

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59