New Modeler

I have always wanted to get into models, mainly modern day warships. I have a line on a Revell USS Iowa kit in 1/350 scale. Although its not a currently available model new, it is new in the box with the factory seals. Since it is a larger scale than usually available should I buy it and sit on it until I get some more experience or do you think this is something that a person with little experience could turn into a nice display piece.

If this is the case, does anyone have any suggestions for models that might be abit more newb friendly for practice until I am ready to tackle the larger project?

Also what resources are available for newb help, tools, paints, etc. I would like to use some sort of spray system for paint as it finishes better, I don't want to use hand paint on anything except the smallest pieces. So I need a line on a good system for painting as well.

Thanks!!

Reply to
Angry American

google. over 200000 hits for modelers.

Reply to
someone

Well, unfortuantely I don't build ships but I know of a good site with a discussion group to ask your questions. Check out

Good luck, Eric

Reply to
Teresa

The 1/350 scale genre is seeing something of a renaissance in recent years, as a number of Japanese and Chinese companies are issuing new kits in that scale. Trumpeter makes 1/350th modern Chinese frigate and destroyer ship models...for real cheap. I hear they're dogs, but at the same time, they're ideal models to practice on before attempting something on the scale of the Iowa. Tamiya has a Fletcher-class destroyer in that scale for a much higher price (around $30), which would go with Iowa in a collection and at the same time be a further stepping stone in your process of learning techniques. Or perhaps a Dragon 1/350th modern US destroyer would be your next. There are plenty of choices.

Stephen "FPilot" Bierce/IPMS #35922 {Sig Quotes Removed on Request}

Reply to
Stephen Bierce

If I had found something useful googling, I wouldnt have asked, but thanks.

Reply to
Angry American

your kidding. my point was that you asked about 50 pages worth of response that you could find yourself. if you want my bookmarks, give me an email addy.

Reply to
someone

Thanks!! I have no idea of the quality of the Revell Kit, as far as detail etc, but I would assume that it would be better than some of the lesser knowns. Plus I like the larger size of the 1/350, lots of room for detail. Maybe I should buy some easier to acquire kits and use them for practice.

Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
Angry American

Hi, and welcome to our hobby. Never built ships myself, more of a jet bloke really, although at the moment I'm struggling with my first serious helicopter. With that in mind, I guess I can generalize a wee bit here and say stick with Tamiya or Revell for your first model. Dragon kits are excellent but they are "modellers' models". That is to say that fit of parts (there is a phrase "dragon fit", go figure) isn't always what it could be, but with some hard won experience there is always a good replica hiding in that box. Check out internetmodeller.com for some good ship kit reviews.

Finishing systems are a matter of taste, and a decent airbrush is almost always the way to go. Have a look at Iwata's Revolution CR (and LEARN TO CLEAN IT!) and Silverjet compressor combo for a good entry level set up which will last you way beyond its price. If you can, overspend on a really good compressor, as it's something you don't want to be upgrading all the time. A quiet one with a good sized reservoir and built in moisture trap will be under your bench for a long time; like anythng else that's good at its job, you shouldn't have to think about it working, it should just work as you expect it to each and every time. Oh, and dont skimp on some nasty vinyl hose - proper braided ones are so much nicer to work with and will take more abuse. Take your time, find a good model shop and ask advice everywhere you can. It will pay off.

Finally, it's supposed to be fun. Don't get too wrapped up in the minutiae and rivet counting bullshit and build something you like and are proud of. Nothing else really matters.

Reply to
flak monkey

I think you have the right idea. Build something smaller (not necessarily a smaller scale, but a cheaper, smaller ship.

As far as resources, your best bet is to join a local club. If you do not know of any, find the IPMS (International Plastic Modelers Society) web site for a list of IPMS chapters, or see if your local hobby shop knows of clubs.

Second, visit your local library. There have been a couple of books on building plastic warships in the last decade, and libraries in my area do have them.

Stay with this newsgroup.

There is a Yahoo mailing list on model ship building but it is primarily wooden sailing ships. Still, you might want to browse through the archives of that group.

Lastly, there is a message on this group periodically, pointing one to the Ship Modeling FAQ.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Those Japanese 1/700 scale "waterline series" warships go together quite well, and leave you with a nicely detailed model when done that can be built in a few hours without busting your budget. Something along the lines of a cruiser would be a good place to start. Unfortunately, a lot of the simpler, cheaper, kits are from way back in the 1960s, and didn't have very good fit or detail either.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Some of my favorites for model building:

's.htm
Check out the forums, too:

While these are aviation oriented, the modelling tips you can find there can be invaluable.

Good luck.

Reply to
Don McIntyre

I found this also:

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

I would suggest you start on something smaller and simpler to build. Especially if you want add photo etched parts. I always suggest the Tamiya 1/350 scale Fletcher destroyer kit. It's fairly small (about

12") and will build up in a short period of time. If you choose to do photo etch, you won't get bogged down doing endless railing as you would on the big battleships. As far as help goes, I produce a complete line of how to modeling CDs for ship modeler that will prove invaluable to get you started on the right foot. Check them out at flagshipmodels.com.

Rusty White Flagship Models Inc. flagshipmodels.com

Reply to
Ship Modeler

Checkout: steelnavy.com modelwarships.com

Rusty White Flagship Models Inc.

Reply to
Ship Modeler

Thanks for all of the replies and pointers ;-)

Angry American

Reply to
Angry American