North American SNJ colour schemes

Sorry to bother everyone but I hope someone out there will be able to point
me in the general direction of what is required. I am currently assisting
in the restoration to flying condition of a North American T-6G Texan.
This aeroplane previously wore an overall Navy Blue colour scheme when
imported into the UK in the eighties (it tried to be a SNJ-7), but since
then the regulations for warbird schemes have now changed in this country.
Now the aircraft has to be painted in an accurate scheme as was worn by that
type in service otherwise the Civilian Registration has to shown in large
letters on the side and wings. The intention is to paint it in an overall
Navy Blue scheme again, but did SNJs actually wear this scheme? I have seen
numerous American registered machines in this livery, but where if possible
did they obtain the necessary information from, or has artistic licence just
been used? I have a collection of over 5000 period photos and still cant
come up with the goods!
The owner has made reference to a Monogram publication on US Navy Colour
Schemes that in its Volume 2 does feature a SNJ in an overall blue scheme?
Does anyone have a copy of this (a scan of the photo would be lovely) or can
anyone provide details of SNJs in postwar colours.
I look forward in hearing from everyone. Emails would be greatly
appreciated as I dont check the net that often.
Best wishes,
Martin Pengelly
Reply to
M Pengelly
Martin,
It just so happens that I have a Scale Aircraft Modeller here with the T-6/Harvard as the featured aircraft. They show no blue examples. Trainers are all in yellow, silver or brown and green over yellow. There is also a Swedish example in green over blue-grey. The only example in any blue is a Peruvian plane with a mid-blue fuselage and yellow wings. This doesn't mean that no examples existed but I think the ones we've seen are painted that way ex-service.
Bill Banaszak, MFE
Reply to
Mad-Modeller
Martin,
It just so happens that I have a Scale Aircraft Modeller here with the T-6/Harvard as the featured aircraft. They show no blue examples. Trainers are all in yellow, silver or brown and green over yellow. There is also a Swedish example in green over blue-grey. The only example in any blue is a Peruvian plane with a mid-blue fuselage and yellow wings. This doesn't mean that no examples existed but I think the ones we've seen are painted that way ex-service.
Bill Banaszak, MFE
Reply to
Mad-Modeller
"North American NA-16/AT-6/SNJ [Warbird Tech Series #11]," Dan Hagedorn, Speicalty Press, 1997, has a pciture of an SNJ-2 dated post-August 1943 with the non-specular three-tone blue and gray scheme.
"The Official Monogram US Navy and Marine Corps Aircraft Color Guide, Vol. 2," John M. Elliot, Monogram Aviation Publications, 1998, has a picture of an SNJ-3 in overall glossy sea blue with absolutely no other markings except for the white-bar US insignia.
It's not much to go on; the vast majority of Texans/Harvards were NMF or standard trainer colors.
Mark Schynert
Reply to
Mark Schynert