RAF Harvard MK.IIBs in the UK 1943-1946

Dear all,

I have been asked to supply information to an owner of a Harvard Mk.IIB in the UK as to the repainting of the airframe.

My main interest is the histories of the individual machines and so far have researched over 65 examples. What I know virtually nothing about is the exact colour schemes that these aeroplanes wore.

The aircraft in question was built as a Mk.IIB for the RCAf and later went onto see service with the RCN and then with the Italians in the seventies and eighties. It was restored in England in the mid eighties and is now painted up to represent a SNJ-3 of the US Navy.

Its new owner, wishes to have the airframe painted in a more accurate scheme and although I have full details of its RCAF colours, the new owner doesnt want the Harvard painted yellow. As he has two Spitfires he would live the aircraft to be painted to represent a RAF Harvard Mk.IIB that saw service in England from the years 1943-46. We know that all the airframes built in Canada and which were shipped to this country were painted upon receipt by the RAF, but what were the exact colours used and was their a colour scheme just for Harvard Mk.IIBs?

Hopefully, somewhere out there, someone will be able to supply me with the information that I require.

Yours sincerely,

Martin Pengelly

Please email your replies if at all possible, as dont have access to the net at home and cant check my newsgroup postings that often. Thanks.

Reply to
M Pengelly