Aircraft Markings & Colour Schemes

Does anyone know of a definitive book (or, more preferably, a website) where the subject of aircraft markings and colour schemes are dealt with as a whole rather than on a plane by plane basis? My interest is primarily in the WW2 period. It would be a great help when researching authentic colour schemes to have an overview of, say, the different types of RAF roundels, or the different types of Luftwaffe fuselage symbols and where/when they were used. I believe there were different standard patterns of camouflage and it would be handy to just open a book and see all these different standard patterns from the different airforces which used them, together with an explanation of where/when they were used. Again, fuselage theatre bands and individual squadron markings. I could go on and on - and maybe that's the problem: far too much information to exist in one place, but it wouldn't half be useful if just some of this information were collected together!

Grateful for all advice offered.

Ron Headon Swindon, England

Reply to
Ron Headon

If memory serves (an iffy proposition sometimes), Harleyford had a book on just that topic. I've seen it from time to time on eBay.

The Old Timer

FWIW That Harleyford book dates from 1954 and is little more than a curiosity anymore. This is a HUGE subject area and the research that is available is generally on a nation by nation basis. It is just too big a subject. My advice is to ask RMS members for book references on a Nation by Nation basis. They can point you either at books or websites.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Say it ain't so Bill! Next you are going to tell me that my Aurora MiG is all wrong?

Rick

Reply to
OXMORON1

If he won't tell you, I will...... ;-p

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I heard it is missing the upper wing and propeller...

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Hell! If it's that billious green thing I remember, it's probably a collectors piece and worth a bundle!

Bill Shuey

I didn't say collectors were logical! :-)

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Yep, they moulded it with the wrong wiper motor. It should have a

2-speed instead of a 3-speed. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Ron Headon schrieb:

Here are some links, where you can find some schemes of planes during the World War II.

you can find schemes, which used generally as standard schemes.

you can find schemes of the Luftwaffe planes and also painting orders.

I hope that help you a little bit.

Robert Chemnitz Germany

Reply to
schoro

I agreed that that book is old, but for most military aircraft from WWI through WWII, it would be a very good starting off point. Surely, more detailed info can be found on the Web itself. I know, don't call you Shirley.... 8-P

The Old Timer

Al wrote in response to:

The following:

I guess that means that all my carefully hoarded references on th Fruitbat are suspect also........Damn!

Rick

Reply to
OXMORON1

Bill wrote concerning my Aurora MiG:

Ah Damn! It agreed with the Nylam drawings in Air Tracks and was painted with the best model airplane dope available in 1950 something. I have to admit that I was suspicious of the green, I thought it was metallic pea green, not "billious green" You got the correct FS/ANA number for that green?

Rick

Reply to
OXMORON1

Colour depends on age of release. The earliest ones were 'pea green' and without landing gear. The metallic green one came later and had the landing gear. At least, that's the way it was explained to me. :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Quite true! The earliest releases didn't have landing gear. Those and the metallic colours came later. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

"Keeper" wrote

I bought a purple (maybe metallicy??) "ME-109" and a green P-38 in the early

1970's. I doubt these were old stock as they probably came from Sears or Woolworth's and the mall wasn't built until 1969.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

I'd love to see that! All the ones I've seen were metallic red, almost a fuchsia. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

That's how I'd describe the one I had. I think there's a piece of it somewhere in the spares box.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller