Old airfix FW190D

I have the old airfix fw190D in the blisterpack,the one with TD+X1 decals.I have no intention of building it,since I have better kits,but am just curious.Is TD+X1 a legitimate marking or?I've had no luck finding out from my few books or online. Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

It's probably a radio call sign used during acceptance testing.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I was thinking along those lines,just curious if airfix used a real plane as reference or it's a fiction.

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

The only way to be sure would be to start looking at lots of pictures! ;)

I don't have any reference material on 'foreign' aircraft so can't be any more help.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I'm thinking it would be a matter of finding what references airfix had available when this version was released.And since I was probably about 4 at the time I have no idea where to start.I will probably build a kit with those markings for the hell of it.

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Thanks for the info.I've *only* done about a dozen 190Ds over the years so it isn't critical,I was just curious.

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Make it a factory-fresh 'D' as I think the markings would have come off at the front and replaced by service markings. I looked in "Warplanes of the Third Reich but no such call signs are mentioned. Most 190 prototypes seem to have been in the 'C' range (for example CI+XM). If it's any help, the Ta 183 prototypes were in the 'TF' range.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I'm afraid I've lost the initial messages of the thread, so I might be referencing the wrong code here, but I have two old Airfix 190D decal sheets which give TD+X1. If this is the code in question, it is plausible for a production Fw 190D; There is a picture of an FW 190A with the sequence TD+SI or S1, and also a series of Ta 154 prototypes in the TE range. It's evident, though, that few if any FW 190Ds were in operational service while wearing such codes. This would have been either factory-delivery or prototype/development to have flown with these codes.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Hello,

i think it's probably for a prototype, because the Revell Germany Fw 190 with the Torpedo have also TD+S1 for the testingperioda of the plane.

Eyeball2002308 schrieb:

Reply to
schoro

Now I'm getting somewhere.I never thought of a prototype,only a predelivery code.But I still think the style of crosses on the sheet is wrong.They look like the underwing style but say to use them all around.I took some artistic license and used the more common styles. Thanks to all who replied.

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

It's called "Stamkennziken" (Not sure of spelling) and is the radio codes the plane has when it leaves the assembly lines - apearently they are rather firmly fixed to the same werknumer.

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen