OT computer problem???

Hi Guys, I have a friend who has a laptop. Up until a few days ago everything was fine. Now all of a sudden his internet explorer will not connect to the internet. He knows it is the laptop because he hooks up his regular computer to the same modem and it works fine. He is running windows 98 and has already done scandisc and norton troubleshooting fixes and nothing seems to work to correct it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what happened and how to possibly fix it without reloading windows again and starting from scratch???

Thanks

Reply to
Max Bryant

Max, Having worked ISP support for a few years, I can tell you that providing no strange software (such as NewdotNet) has been installed (in which case there's a registry key to delete as well), deleting then reinstalling a new client (Client for MS Networks), dial up adapter, and TCP/IP in your Network (see in Control Panel) will fix most things. If not, uninstall then reinstall Dial Up Networking completely. (Control Panel> Add/Remove Prigs> Windows components). If you have had AOL installed, sometimes its Adapter will conflict with the Microsoft version, in which case uninstall AOL from the Add/Remove Programs applet in Control Panel before the above fixes are applied. You will need your Windows CD to perform these steps. Its also possible that the password file has corrupted, and so before spending half an hour on the steps described, try re-entering the ISP username and password first in the dial up connection box. Please report back with any specific error messages if you have no luck with the above. Reinstalling Windows is almost never the right thing to do. Hope this helps, Chek

Reply to
Chek

installing Windows is almost never the right thing to do

:-)

Um now forgot the orig question, does he have a firewall?

BTW i just got a $999ish 24 port hub(when new) for 3 quid......collected it too, i was pushing my 4 port router and 8 port hub too much.

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

Can he connect to his mail and news servers? If so Internet Explorer may be corrupted. I don't use it anymore but IIRC the newest versions have a repair feature.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Wow thanks for the suggestions but now my head really hurts. My friend has a cable modem and is running WIN98 with Zone alarm as the firewall. There were no problems for the year he has had it now all of a sudden it just will not connect. I believe it is just the Explorer that is corrupted and I know some versions have a repair feature but I do not remember which version nor do I want to tell him to delete it and it will ask him to repair it. Because if it doesn't then I am going to fell really bad for making the situation worse. Is there a way to just re- install internet explorer?

Cheers, Max B

Reply to
Max Bryant

Sure but if his current installation is corrupted that would only be a temporary solution at best even if it did 'fix' the immediate problem.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

easy test is to boot into command prompt. run scanreg and pick a known good date to restore. if need be, set the computers date back to a known good date. restore that registry and try. it's a cheap and easy fix that works on hosed registrys and will give you one answer.