OT: Computer Question

reboot, clears the memory.

What does it mean when the message pops up to tell me that Netscape has created a 'Page Fault'? I then get an 'illegal' message which shuts Netscape down. What can I do to correct this?

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller

no, did you install anything new? clear the cache lately? running anything else? did you change anything?

or delete and resub to all fave groups. that usually doesn't cause page faults, but nutscrape is wierd.

The same error message appears everytime I try the newsgroup. Should I try unsubscribing?

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller

in article snipped-for-privacy@nextline.com, Mad Modeller at snipped-for-privacy@nextline.com wrote on 2/17/05 11:33 PM:

Bill;

When all else fails, try netscape.support.com (or whatever) and do a search for the error message. They usually post a fix.

HTH

Milton

Reply to
Milton Bell

Which version of Netscape?

4.xx versions used to frequently go blooey on strange message header constructs, the fix was to hand edit the .newsrc to skip that message.

Have a look on "The Netscape Unofficial FAQ"

Cheers, Gary B-)

Reply to
Gary R. Schmidt

It means Netscape tried to poke around in memory not assigned to it. Very impolite behaviour.

Very little, unless you can rewrite Netscape (or windows; if you have an early version of that, memory management was decidedly shaky). You could update to a newer version of either or both, or switch to a different newsreader. Pan comes to mind, as that's what I'm using under both Windows and Linux.

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel