OT: CV41 in the Port of Oakland

what's the name of 41? Is Alameda closed enough to not take a carrier or is 41 at the Port to take on supplies for Iraq? Deck was clear but cool still to see from the Bart train on the way home from work.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

USS Midway see

to get the skinney

Reply to
Mike Goldsbury

I sure hope she docks during Christmas vacation!! COOL!

Reply to
Jim Atkins

There is also a webcam to keep track of the painting progress.

Charles Jones

Not if you have to spend three years seeing it cut to pieces. I passed by the USS Coral Sea (CV-43) every day for three and a half years watching it die a bit every day.

Cookie Sewell AMPS

Reply to
AMPSOne

Cookie:

I believe the Midway has beaten the odds and is to go somewhere as a museum ship. I note he mentioned the camera was to watch her being re-painted. I don't think they would put a new coat of paint on a ship headed for the boneyard. Personally, I think it's too bad they didn't find someone on the East Coast to take the Coral Sea. My personal pet peeve is with old Maryland Governor J.Millard Tawes who when asked by the Navy if the State of Maryland would like to have the Battleship U.S.S. Maryland replied something to the effect "who wants that old piece of junk"? Wouldn't she have looked good sitting down in the inner harbor? Great place for an IPMS meeting!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

After the paint job she heads down to San Diego as a museum.

Reply to
Charles Jones

I don't think they would put a new coat of paint on a ship headed for the boneyard.

You don't know the Navy.........................................................Joe on and off, active and reserve since 1975

Reply to
Joe Drees

OUCH! And I thought I was getting cynical after 13 years at the D.o D. :-)

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

The Midway is going to San Diego as a floating museum down at broadway pier, where it will f-up the beautiful San Diego harbor area. - JD

Reply to
Jrdme109

Likewise, you wouldn't think 'they' would spend $30m+ per ship on 'Threat Upgrade' systems, only to decommission the upgraded hulls within three years.

But they did. And those hulls weren't mothballed, either. They cut them up or used them as target hulks.

Scott G. Welch

Reply to
OSWELCH

'Midway Magic' can only improve the view.

Scott G. Welch

Reply to
OSWELCH

Scotty:

What ships are you referring to here, FFG's?

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Leahy class CGs and some Adams class DDGs.

Scott G. Welch

Reply to
OSWELCH

Reply to