OT:Gen.McColpin

Maj.Gen.Carroll Warren "Red"McColpin, Croix de Guerre (France), Croix de Guere (Belgium), DFC (GB), DFC (U.S.), USAF Legion of Merit with two OLCs, Air Medal with six OLCs passed away on 11/28/03 at the age of 89.

In 1968 I was working for the PIO at Hamilton AFB, CA. My best press release was Gen.McColpin's retirement as 4th AF CO. I kept in touch with him on and off for many years.

Red had begun flying in 1928, building and flying his own aircraft while still in high school. He joined the RAF IN 1940. He served with all three of the Eagle Squadrons and had 15 kills by the time the US entered the war. He commanded the 133rd Eagle Sqdn. as a RAF Major until transfered to the USAAF,

4th Ftr Grp. He commanded the 404th FG on D-Day. Red finished the war with 280 combat missions and 27 kills.

Postwar service included command positions in Gander and Schweinfurt. After the war Red was a successful mortgage and investment banker.

Gen. McColpin's generation is leaving us very quickly now. Let's all try to let them know how much we appreciate them while we still are able to do so.

Go with God, Red.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Tom,

You mean 'RAF Squadron Leader?'

Scott G. Welch

Reply to
OSWELCH

Oops. Yes, I guess I was thinking in American while writing in English. Made the same mistake in the press release so many years ago.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72