OT: Latin translation

" Non Carborundum Illigitimi" is Latin for: " Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down" Is the Latin I have posted correct in spelling and grammar? Wish to have a T-Shirt made with that statement. Any help much appreciated. Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

I seem to remember hearing it as "Illigitimus Non-Carborundum", but I'm no Latin expert...

Reply to
Rufus

The only Latin that I remember is:

"Sic Gloria Transit Monday."

According to that sterling reference source, Mad Magazine, it translates as:

"Gloria Got Sick on the Bus Monday".

That's simple, but it's scary that I remember all of the lines of "I Remember" and "Tigers, Tigers" from the same source.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Neither.

Here's a link that belabors the point about this fake Latin phrase and some variations on it.

Re: Illegitimatum Uncarborundum

"Noli illegitimi carborundum" would be held to be less bad grammar it says therein, but it's still a fake phrase.

So who cares?

Go with it!

Cheers!!!

BobbyG

Reply to
Bobby Galvez

Okay-one more version: Non illegitemos carborundum. I thought Carborundum was a brand name, so I always assumed this was an utterly bogus phrase.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Gosh! "Sic transit gloria mundi"

R.

Reply to
Riccardo C.

It's not latin at all, even if it sounds latin.

"Ne illegitimi carbourunderunt"

take note that the verb "carborundere" is a forced latinization of "to carborund" (that is in turn a forced english verb-alization af carborundum) with reference to the synthetic diamond.

At least the phrase is grammatically correct.

The phrase "Nolite illegitimi carborundere" would sound in latin as a suggestion, more than a command.

HTH R.

Reply to
Riccardo C.

Mike,

The slogan "Non carborundum illigitimi" is not Latin at all. It has been around for a good many years but was simply a joke. (Carborundum is a hard abrasive material used in grindstones.)

My Latin is now rather rusty but a rough translation might be "Noli nothos te opprimere confiteor".

I hope this helps.

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

OK, Can anyone translate the 11th Commandment into Latin please?

"Thou shalt no get found out!"

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hughes

Oh, that's what the Latin slogan under the photo of the current administration on the wall at the CIA is all about. I wondered.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Thank You All for Your Help. Sad to relate the first time I heard the phrase it was from a high school history teacher who proudly claimed it had been sent from the commander of a Roman relief column to the commander of a besieged Roman legion some where in Gaul?..Germany? Now I know it was all a joke and perhaps half of history is as well? Any way it was a interesting research and I will still get the shirt made 'joke Latin' or not. :-)) Thanks Again! Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

How about "Quando omni fluncus moritati"?

I've often wondered what that one meant. :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

When we all fail, we die?..

Reply to
Rufus

Try THIS one on...

Rufus

That's dog-Latin (and slightly misspelled), not real Latin... According to the first Red Green book, "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati" means "When all else fails, play dead".

Reply to
Rob Kelk

Thanks, Rob. It was no doubt I who misspelled the words. I know Red has a newspaper column but I wasn't aware of the book(s). I'll have to look them up. It's good to see Harold back on the show, too.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Before Riccardo's message I feared to have wasted five years studying Latin at the high school. "Carborundum", bah! None out of three Italian-Latin dictionaries do mention this word or some derivative. And what about that "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"? Is really "flunkus" a latin word? With a "K"??? What's a Flunkus??? A poisonous mushroom? :-DDD Shouldn't it be "flictum", p.p. of "fligo -is", that means "beat"? Didn't they use just uppercase letters? All those inscriptions seen in Rome, Milan and Pompeii seem to confirm that. Maybe they are wrong, since an American teacher says something different. ;-)

-- Luca Beato -

del plastimodellismo su

Luca Beato

I THINK YOV ARE JVSTIFIED IN YOVR CONJECTVRE. THE ROMANS ONLY VSED UPPERCASE LETTERS. BACK THEN, YOV COVLD ONLY PVRCHASE OLD FASHIONED COMPVTERS LIKE APPLE-IIS AND TRS-CCMS SO THEY WERE VNABLE TO DO OTHERWISE

Reply to
Rick DeNatale

...or maybe the democrats removed all the caps lock keys...

Reply to
Rufus

LOL Rick, I still preserve a //e and a //gs in the attic. You know they were (are!) able to write upper and lowercase, and even custom characters, in spite of Bill Gates and his waste of bytes called Unicode. Romans used just uppercase letters simply because they were easier to sculpt in ;-)

-- Luca Beato -

del plastimodellismo su

Luca Beato