OT: Military shows with ancient clips....

My favorites include the "Russian" Bell X-1 in a John Wayne movie (the title escapes me, Jet Pilot maybe?) and the "Chinese" Vampires or Venoms in a film about a plane crash on a beach.

There have been many cases of Western aircraft playing Soviet military aircraft over the years.

Sorry that I can't remeber the tirles.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Don't feel bad, Thomas. Most of those movies were very forgettable. Do you remember the SAAB delta wing playing a MIG in, I believe it was "Fireflies", that movie about Army attack choppers with Nicholas Cage?? I love it when flaming hollywood liberals play all American Heroes! I still puke at Baldwin playing Billy Mitchell in that "Pearl Harbor" crapper.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Yep. It was on AMC about 2 weeks ago.

That last one sounds like "The Kamchatka Incident" with John Forsythe. It's been an eternity since I saw it but it involved an airliner being forced down by MiGs on a beach on the Kamchatka peninsula and how the crew and passengers effected an escape from behind the Iron Curtain.

Welcome to the Golden Years...:)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

You left out the black T-33 playing a MiG.At least the B-29/50 mothership didn't have to fake looking like a Tu4 :-)

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Did anyone mention the Hunter playing the Douglas D-558-2 in The Right Stuff.Even when I knew what it was it fooled me until I paused it.

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

"Firebirds".

He played Jimmy Doolittle.

Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall

There's diff in substiting something rather than screwing up with the wrong a/c.

Reply to
frank may

I think the T-33 portrayed a Yak.

Reply to
frank may

ISTR an article in an isuue of Air Classics about 30 years ago regarding this. I think they were even shot at by unkowing ships or AA!

Reply to
frank may

Reply to
frank may

Many of the previous mentions are also subs...do you really think Howard Hughes had access to MiGs when he made Jet Pilot?

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Reminds of the appearance made by the T-33's cousin, the F-5, in "Top Gun". What was that malarkey called, a MiG-28?.

WmB

WmB

Yeah the Hawker Hunter and Douglas Skyrocket do have similar shapes. I like the A-7 standing in for the F-8-U during the Al Shephard carrier landing scenes. I had to do a double take there.

The recent mvoie about the Cuban Missile Crisis ( the one with Kevin Costner) had some interesting scenes using Phillipine AF F-8 Crusaders( static museum pieces). Although they don't use any real flying F-8's, enough thought was given to make the sequence believable.

Reply to
Gene DiGennaro

The movie you're thinking of was "Firebirds". Did the SAAB actually get called a MiG? I didn't think it was called anything.

Reply to
frank may

I never noticed that...learn something new every day...

Wasn't that "13 Days"? I always said with Costmore's wooden acting he would be perfect in the Al Bore story...

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Last nite, I was watching some "Allied Secret Weapons" thing on History channel. They had a reenactment of Lord Montbatten visiting Winston Churchill. Montbatten gets out of the limosine wearing an army uniform, and is wearing a navy uniform when he greets him. I can vaguely understand old film clips, but a reenactment???? kim m

Reply to
Royabulgaf

Maybe it's a Royal thing. Prince Di's ex-husband ;-) seemed to have the run of the military closet when he was younger.

I saw this show when it first ran but I don't recall the wardrobe.

WmB

WmB

I recall reading somewhere that Winston Churchill was entitled to wear two uniforms: First Lord of the Admiralty (in which capacity he served from 1911-15, and again in 1939 until elected Prime Minister in 1940) and Lieutenant Colonel in the Royal Army Volunteer Reserve.

Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall