OT: Military shows with ancient clips....

wonder how long its been since anyone looked at the clips they choose when putting together one of the many military shows on the History Channel to see if they were remotely accurate, etc.

Getting a bit tired of seeing those B-17's bomb the hell out of that orchard again, and a 3 hour show they had last week on D-Day to Berlin showed something I never knew about - there were T-34's at Normandy!

Amazing things you learn on cable tv.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

The old 'Victory at Sea' show (WWII) had some lovely film of the Austrian dreadnought Szent Istvan capsizing (WWI).

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Or all those Spitfires and Hurricanes that ended up on P-51 and P-47 gun cameras?

Reply to
Mike Keown

And how many times have they re-cycled that clip of H.M.S. Barham blowing up as it rolled over after that U-Boat torpedoed it??

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

My favourite was a sequence of German STUGs "advancing", left to right across the screen, then later exactly the same sequence shown in reverse, "retreating", right to left across the screen.

JH

Reply to
Polo Player

what about those texans bombing pearl?

Reply to
someone

11,643 this week.
Reply to
someone

Producer: "I wanna new production on December 7, 1941".

Old Footage Archivist: "I've got some great footage of SBD'd going into a dive. The public is too stupid to realize they're US planes and I'm too lazy to dig deeper for authentic footage. Hey, it's worked before..."

Producer: "Print it".

Frank Kranick

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

No one has mentioned the Hellcat losing its tail and hitting the bridge of the carrier. And how about in movies?The F-14 crashing in Hunt For Red October that turns into an F9F

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Aaahhh, Yes! The indestructible Ensign Black. He walked away, the deck crew man seen scrambling to get out of the way in the left at the beginning of the clip was not so lucky. I believe I have read that the deck of an aircraft carrier is one of the most dangerous workplaces on earth.

Bill shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Actually those are usually SBDs.

Just trying the keep the innacuracies accurate. :-)

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Tom answered:

With:

Those SBD pilots were good, same ones bombed Midway and the Japanese fleet several times (at the same time).

Rick

Reply to
OXMORON1

Reminds me of Catch 22 and the contract to defend and attack the same bridge. Wasn't that Milo Minderbinder?

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

yes, i know those, but i have seen texans, too.

Reply to
someone

Hi Guys: You picked the best historical inaccuracies but here are some of my favorites from documentary TV:

  1. Tigers invading France in 1940;
  2. Footage from John Ford's movie on Pearl Harbor being used in Victory at Sea;
  3. The Japanese fighter pilot shown strafing Allied troops....who held the camera? Of course, we won't even dare go to Hollywood's transgressions. Jerry
Reply to
MltryHstrn

Not really a Hollywood inaccuracy, but a military neccessity:

Training film (IIRC) with accurately painted Japanese Bettys played very nicely done B-26 Marauders.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

bridge...not the tail breaking one...this one caught some poor swabbie between the con and the leading edge, the original is available but you have to show your driver license and social security number before you can view it. Poor kid didn't have a chance, but that's war folks? Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

On a related note which Hollywood movie had swept wing F-84F's masquarading as MiG-15'S? Didn't Fighter Squadron with Robert Stack use P-51's as Me-109's?

Gene DiGennaro Baltimore, Md.

Reply to
Gene DiGennaro

The F-84 swap was in Jet Pilot wasn't it?

Allen Catonsville, MD

Reply to
Allen Epps

That was "The Hunters" with Robert Mitchum, Robert Wagner, etc. Now finally available on CD.

Yes, it did. Cornball movie though, with lots of Edmund O'Brien overacting.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey