OT: Oldest still in service aircraft??

Are the still flying their as designed for "mission" on a regular basis? Not a replica WWI fighter, not some museum kept plane that flies once a year but a regular "working Joe" of an airplane doing it's daily grind.

Reply to
Ron Smith

Now I learned something, I wasn't aware S-2's were still in active service...wouldn't it be nice if we had a 1/48 scale S-2 with the upgrades to model. Man! What a great exec bird that would be...I remember seeing one at Oshkosh, someone had made for his personal commuter. Gerald

Reply to
bluumule

What about the C-97, or its variants? Are any of those still in service? Are any of the still-operating Guppies from an airframe old enough to be considered?

Reply to
Greg Heilers

You know, when the "what would you like to see modeled in 1/48th" poll comes around I never think of the S-2, but come to think of it, I would love to have one! It just seems to fly under the radar (pun intended) of my attention. But I guess I'm not alone. Look how long it took for someone to come up with it as a contender for "aircraft longest in service". That's what it gets for being so damn ugly!

Doug Wagner

Reply to
Doug Wagner

Yep, the Stoof ain't a glamor puss like a fighter. I'd like to have the "Willy Fudd" version and the COD transport model, too.

Here's a tabletop of the "Stoof with a Roof"

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Well, if you consider that they were designed for & as a small private plane, yes, Cubs & other old light aircraft fly all the time. Being a small private plane was their design mission. Now, if you were trying to argue an L-4, IIRC, the military observation version of the Cub, that's no contest. Like I said, if he wanted military, he should have said so in the subject.

Reply to
frank

ISTR reading over on the Firebombers Forum that Special Hobby or some outfit has announced a 1/48 S-2 for this year.

Reply to
frank

Reply to
Ron Smith

i'm forced to realise if it isn't nazi or british, i have little knowledge. ok, i can id some of them rooshun planes. but more heliocopters. where's my all the world's aircraft book?

Enzo Matrix moved the fromage aside and asked:

I guess that there are a lot of us who aren't familiar with 'foreign' aircraft. I've always been enthusiastically so. There's a lot of air over the rest of the planet.

To get this back on subject, do the Swiss still fly their C-3605 target tugs? Any Czechs still navigating an L.60 Brigadyr around? How about members of the Bücker aircraft family?

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Mad-Modeller wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nextline.com:

Hmm could cross link here to the ipms journal thread...

There is an article on this in there funnily enough. It mentions they were retired in 87

Reply to
Peter Baxter

All in all, they still have a number of originals in the collection.

The Bleriot XI is 98% original:
and the Jenny:
and the Moraine Salnier A-1
you can check out the rest of the aircraft on the website as well.

Reply to
John

Pretty sure the C-130 pre-dates the B-52, albiet not the current versions (of either!), assuming you are limiting this thread to US military aircraft.

Reply to
John

My money still rides on the remaining Guppies that were converted from C-97's.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Bolivian airline Lineas Aereas Canedo still has two piston-engined C-46's (as well as DC-3's) in regular service; as reported/illustrated in the April 2006 issue of "Airliner World" (page 20).

Website:

the website may redefine "browser-crashing". I suggest disabling Flash...lol)

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

In terms of still in productive service, the UK Military register still has an active Harvard - approaching 70 years of the type in Service, and a couple of Meteors (62 years)

Remove nospam to reply!!

Reply to
Dave Fleming