OT: Oldest still in service aircraft??

Guessing that the B-52 is #1.

anyone want to mess around with a list of what comes next?

Craig

Reply to
crw59

I would think the T-37 would be close... At least in the USA

Jack G.

Reply to
Jack G

Am 1 Apr 2006 20:27:14 -0800 schrieb " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net":

If you only count aircraft still in original commission and only US military ones, you should be right. Otherwise I would guess, that (I do _not_ count museal pieces) somewhere a couple of C47/DC3s or other WW2 vintage might be in service until today...

cu, ZiLi aka HKZL (Heinrich Zinndorf-Linker)

Reply to
spam-trash
1st Canberra?
Reply to
Jules

Woops - didn't realize the Tweet was finally retired from all active training roles. Does anybody know if any are still on an active roster somewhere?

Jack G.

Reply to
Jack G

The SAAF is still flying turbo-prop C-47s.

Cheers,

Reply to
Bill Shatzer

i believe there are still c-47's in service.

Regards

Pat Macguire

Reply to
Syke

Tiger Moth ?

It's still used to teach people how to fly unless you mean in military service, that is.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net offered me a plate of cheese and whispered:

The RAF is still flying some Canberra PR9s and T4s that are over 40 years old.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Doesn't the RAN (UK) still have a Swordfish on it's register?

Reply to
The Raven

Well, the Collings Foundation in the US is flying a B-24J, a B-17G and a B-25. Althought some of the C-47s that are still flying might preceed them.

Aren't there also some DC-3's still flying passengers?

Ed R

Reply to
robbelothe

Isn't there at least one Ford Tri-motor carrying passengers in Michigan, over Lake Mackinac?

Reply to
mholt

ISTR there are several 1920s civil a/c still flying. In fact, I think there is a restored WWI a/c, not a replica, still running around.

Reply to
frank

there's a field that has several plus replica's.

Check out Warbirds Over Wanaka International Airshow 2006 ***

regards Alan T. Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Web Links

A.T.

The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight has far older aircraft still flying, and they are still on the RAF's books.

Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

If you mean US military, I'm thinking the KC-135 has the B-52 beat. The only BUFFs left flying are H models which were not produced until after the first -135s. The C-130E is at least close. I know 62-1791 is still flying.

Curt

Reply to
Curt

Doesn't the C-5A beat out the KC-135? I thought some (most?) Buffs had/have been upgraded/remanufactured to H standards...am I off?

...and how about some of the helos out there?

Reply to
Rufus