OT: Oldest still in service aircraft??

yes, thank you. they have a dr1 replica.

it's on my list. been on the history channel several times.

how are the 262's doing. a friend of mine helped design the ge engines they are using. rutan used them too. i think i told you guys about him. way cool guy.

THIS is interesting...

Rufus

Reply to
Ron Smith

Agreed. That is how I interpreted the original question. And going by that standard, I think that the answer might be the aforementioned KC-135's (though...there could be some helicopters still "in service" that are from that era)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

...hmmmnnn...do spacecraft count, or are we talking strictly within the atmosphere?

Dawned on me that there are probably some early space probes still floating around...somewhere...

Reply to
Rufus

We probably should limit it to *manned* machines. Otherwise, if we consider "space probes"...can we then omit "missiles" such as air-to-air missiles? And then could we justify not also including bullets?...lol.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

-snip-

Perhaps, but certainly none which were "in service" before Sputnik in 1957.

As there are like -lots- of pre-1957 aircraft still in service, space craft wouldn't be in the running for "oldest", even if they qualified as "service aircraft".

Cheers,

Reply to
Bill Shatzer

I believe the initial service date of the T-37 is 1956. About 200 are still active in 2006. I believe this is a longer service life than the KC-135.

Jack G.

Reply to
Jack G

Jon offered me a plate of cheese and whispered:

Really? So all those people who have helped me out no end by providing me with information on Spitfires and Bf109s are just a figbox of my imagination?

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Will, he did say "aircraft". Spacecraft are a different subject.

Reply to
frank

So, what sort of "service" do you consider Piper Cubs & the like to still be performing that they weren't originally intended? If he wanted military a/c "in service", he should have said so.

Reply to
frank

Am Mon, 03 Apr 2006 22:12:17 -0700 schrieb "Bill Shatzer":

The oldest man made Earth satellite still in orbit is Vanguard 1, launched 17 March 1958 (btw. it cannot really be counted as 'operational' satellite anymore, besides the fact, that it is tracked until today).

The KC-135A entered service with the U.S. Air Force on 28 June 1957 (even before Sputnik, lauched 4 Oct. 1957). The first aircraft (#55-3118) flew on 31 August 1956. And, to be precise, already on 15 July 1954, Boeing's Model 367-80 prototype took to the air for the first time. So what?

cu, ZiLi aka HKZL (Heinrich Zinndorf-Linker)

Reply to
spam-trash

Am Tue, 04 Apr 2006 16:13:26 +0200 schrieb "Heinrich Zinndorf-Linker (zili@home)":

And another nearly forgotten one in this thread: Lockheed C-130 Hercules. Same time frame, maybe even a bit earlier in commission than KC-135...

cu, ZiLi aka HKZL (Heinrich Zinndorf-Linker)

Reply to
spam-trash

Well he did offer up the B-52 as his sole example...

WmB

Reply to
WmB

The Grumman S-2 Tracker remains in service in its intended design capacity as a maritime patrol aircraft - with the Taiwan and Argentina military. They originally motored along on twin Wright R-1820 Cyclones but are now pimped out with turboprops. First flight in 1952, production and service delivery shortly afterwards - predating the KC-135 by a couple of years.

Giving good service as firebombers too.

***********************

In US service (well USAF at least), straight from the horses mouth:

If you don't see your USAF guess in here, you probably missed that mark's retirement party. The top contender appears to be the KC-135, with the B-52, C-130 and the T-37 getting honorable mention. Ask the question a few years down the road and you'll likely find the KC-135s will have lost the distinction of being the oldest USAF aircraft in service.

Nice to be reminded of the long service of the venerable old Huey design and the shadowy Skunkworks creation, the U-2.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Some pics:

(G-89%2FG-121%2FS2F)&distinct_entry=true WmB

Reply to
WmB

Hmmmmmm...........aircraft............spacecraft..............nope, different animals.

Reply to
Ron Smith

Possibly one of the modified U-2's but I think so far the DC-3 is more likely.

Reply to
Ron Smith