OT President Reagan dies

Perhaps Californians can convince Governor Moonbeam to run again. ;~)

My home page:

" In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

Reply to
Bill Woodier

I remember the 10% pay raise Reagan pushed through for the military in 1982; never seen one close in later years. He was a man who definitely knew the value of this country's milirary and wasn't afraid to take care of them (us).

My home page:

" In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

Reply to
Bill Woodier

"Mark Schynert" wrote

.etc., etc., etc.

Yeah, but you're in California!

At least that's the sort of response I've heard before when the someone from outside commented about the apparent unattractiveness of living there. I got the impression that sunny days and the PCH made up for everything else. Looks like California turned out to be not all that different than every place else, except more expensive and more crowded. Oh well.

You could always move back to Wisconsin, I suppose.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

I remember the 10% pay cut he tried to give us. I also remember him extending the fiscal year by 3 months to avoid a COLA, recomputing our pay formula so we did get a pay cut, jacking up our pension contributions, and a bunch of phony tax cuts that had me paying more taxes. Kim M

They'll take my penis when pry it from my cold dead hands.

Reply to
Royabulgaf

I'm sure Wisconsin is a lovely place; I may even go there some day, but the climate here *IS* a lot nicer much of the time. I'm strictly a west coast creature,so maybe I should move to Oregon instead? It may happen yet.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Nah, believe it or not, he's talking about running for Attorney General when the present Democrat terms out. I swear, eight years of Reagan as governor, then eight of Jerry Brown, then eight of Deukmejian, was sort of like being forced to eat a hoagie with Wonderbread on the outside, and filled with uncooked tofu slabs.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

"Royabulgaf" wrote

Wasn't the FY change (Jun 1 to Oct 1) a Ford Administration action or was Reagan president in 1976?

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

So if I wanted to make lots of money I should get a tanker truck full of water and head for Bel-air?

Puzzling topography: how do you get islands in the mountains (Sacramento?) tia,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Sacramento is in the Central Valley up close to the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains.

Very flat. Think miniature Great Plains. Huge percentage of the world's agriculture comes from the Central Valley.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

The Delta is essentially an inverted estuary where the Sacramento and San Joaquin Rivers meet each other and the far reaches of the San Francisco Bay system. Because of tidal forces and little elevation change from the edges of the Delta to the point where it feeds into the Bay, the two rivers (and several smaller ones) have created an area of about a thousand miles of interlinked meandering narrow waterways with islands in between. Many of the islands are now lower behind their levees than the surrounding water, because of intensive farming and natural settling of the peaty soil. There is little or no salinity throughout most of the Delta because the narrow waterways and the influx of fresh water is enough to hold back the salt water of the bay. However, when one or more of the large islands suffer levee breaches the flooding effectively relieves some of this back pressure and the salt water intrudes farther upstream. At some point, it's likely that a failure to correct breaches will lead to a chain reaction multiple breach that will flood most of the Delta, turning it brackish. This would not be a particular environmental disaster in the sense that this was the natural state of the place two hundred years ago, but it would cut off a substantial source of fresh water for Southern California, and even San Jose.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Giving rise to the saying "Flush twice, LA needs the water"??? No, wait a minute, that is what they say in Dallas about Houston.

Sorry Mark, couldn't pass a setup.

oxmoron1 MFE

Reply to
OXMORON1

As many here are amature historians some may go to the library and look up the history of California's water wars.

At one point dynamite attacks on the aquaduct near Mono Lake became quite nasty.

Even before that, during the extended gold rush there were shooting wars between miners and larger mines for access to water.

Many people forget that much of California was originally desert and that water, not gold, has made California one of the largest and most successful exporters in the world, far more successful than almost any nation.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

"Al Superczynski" wrote

Sort of the opposite of euphoric recall - "traumatic recall" if you will. Rather than remember things as better than they actually were, he sees them as worse. Or was he just lying to make his case figuring that 25 years might as well be 2500 and nobody would know the difference?

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

Eh, Oregon's OK... personally, I prefer Wisconsin (Milwaukee, specifically,) having lived in both.

Reply to
EGMcCann

It was changed again, from October to January, in the Reagan Administration.

Reply to
Royabulgaf

You sure about that? Was there any practical stem cell research going on in the 80s? I don't even think the flat earth types knew what stem cells were then. Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

Lucky for Sutter he got pushed out when he did. He retired to Lititz, Pa., up the road from here, where we have plenty of spring water. :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

"Royabulgaf" wrote

Administration.

Really? That's odd, given that the 1995 budget battle resulting in a Government shutdown occurred in early November rather than early February as your statement would indicate.

Another odd thing is that our Navy contracts run on a fiscal year basis, Oct

1 to Sep 30.

Yet another oddity is that this online legal dictionary only lists 1976 as an aberration.

Still another oddity is that the only "transitional" quarter listed on the US treasury site was in 1976.
Not saying it didn't happen, mind you, just that it's odd that there doesn't seem to be any readily available information about it. Even this unabashedly anti-Reagan economic comparison website doesn't mention it.
Really odd.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

Try again. The 2005 fiscal year starts on 1 Oct 2004 according to

.

Reply to
Al Superczynski