OT- VTOL aircraft identification help

No, the airplane was initially sold to operate from roadways and combat constructed landing areas much the same as one would operate a helo - only it was to provide a much faster and presumably deadlier response in the call for Close Air Support. Much of the USMC OPEVAL of the AV8B was based on such, and I've seen some of the demonstration films showing it.

An EAF is a bit better accommodation than what was in those videos - the attempt was made to show one could operate a Harrier in a similar manner to a helo...I've also witnessed that thinking change in the intervening years. In fact, most of the older "chosen" Marine Harrier jocks (left over from the AV8A days) were first Cobra pilots - I knew a few of them, too.

I was standing up Night Attack jets at MCAS Yuma during Dessert Storm and from what I gathered, where the Harrier really showed it's worth over a helo was in speed - not really in being based "close" (within a couple km or closer, in USMC parlance) of the FEBA...but granted, Kuwait is a pretty small space at 500 KCAS.

What returning guys deployed out of Yuma were telling me was that they were operating out of captured airfields in relative safety, and still eating a lot of sand. Blade erosion was a considerable issue. But then, the desert is it's own case...

Reply to
Rufus

After I downloaded the report, I used the search function in the Acrobat reader to search for STAMP in the pdf. It wouldn't locate it.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Thanks for finding this! This is a terrific document. It covers other projects I'm interested in, such as the Bell Rocket Belt, rocket belts other companies never built, Bell lunar hoppers, the Bell/Williams Jet Belt, and the Williams WASP. I look forward to settling down with it.

If you're asking "Did you, at any time during the nineteen-eighties, have a conversation with Phil Foglio about old series of boys' adventure books?" the answer is yes, I am THAT Bill Higgins:

Reply to
Bill Higgins

"Target SERVICE?"

Does this mean what I think it means?

Reply to
Bill Higgins

pinky-how do we get the lederhosen on the chimp?

Reply to
someone

LOL

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

dizzy channel is re-running and i'm archiving. the lederhosen is a fave.

Reply to
someone

Ha. You could try buying him a drink or two before you ask whether he'll put them on for you.

Reply to
Sloppy Joe

we did that but he said he's not that kind of .....

Reply to
someone