OT: Vulcan flies again

The big beastie took to the skies on Thursday.

Regards, Ralph

Reply to
Ralph Currell

Wow. That's really cool. Thanks for the info Ralph. When I was a kid going to airshows ' war birds ' usually meant stuff like piston engine WW2 stuff. P-51's, Corsairs, B-17's etc. And those are cool as well. However I think it's so neat today the kind of aircraft being brought back to flight worthy status. The Collings foundation has an F-4 phantom. I was at an airshow last week and saw a MiG-17 put on an airshow. There was a privately owned T-38 Talon there as well. But Holy cow ! A Vulcan !!!! Man that's a big airplane. When I was a kid at a San Antonio, TX airshow ( Randolph AFB circa 1979 ) an RAF Vulcan put on an airshow. At the time I really didn't know what a Vulcan was. But years later when I found out more about the Vulcan ... I realized what I had witnessed back then.

Cool stuff.

Chris

Reply to
CCBlack

I first saw one (other than some drawings of it in aircraft books as a kid) in the James Bond movie "Thunderball". I fell in love with it on first sight. Wonderfully futuristic looking aircraft. A couple of years later I had my Lindberg kits of the Vulcan and Victor.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

on 10/20/2007 4:49 PM Ralph Currell said the following:

A few videos of the flight on YouTube

willshak

We saw one here in Austin (Bergstrom AFB) around the same time - probably the same plane "on tour." It was in the gray/green/white (lt. grey?) livery - the best scheme ever seen on this aircraft (in my opinion). As it made a low-level pass, it banked to show its underside, with the bomb bay doors open. Totally "Star Wars"...lol.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

The statc display Vulcan at Castle AFB Museum is worth the drive all by itself. If you havn't been to this museum you really should pay them a visit. There are a lot of aircraft, all displayed n a park-like setting.

Their B-52 even has a Hound Dog!!!

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

It always reminded my of Rodan from the Japanese monster movies:

sure could carry a lot of conventional bombs in it:
dropping pattern in groups of three.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Heh, I think I first saw it on a margarine box. I forget the brand but they did a series of aviation pics on their 4 sticks-to-a-pound boxes. I know I saw the Wing there first.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Back when Mattel was manufacturing the Vac-U-Form machine, they did a set of add-on molds for it that let you make aircraft, one of which was a YB-49 Flying Wing. Anyone ever see a completed one of those?

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

(Greg=A0Heilers) wrote: On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 18:59:18 -0700, CCBlack wrote: Ralph Currell wrote: The big beastie took to the skies on Thursday =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Wow. That's really cool. Thanks for the info Ralph. When I was a kid going to airshows ' war birds ' usually meant stuff like piston engine WW2 stuff. P-51's, Corsairs, B-17's etc. And those are cool as well. However I think it's so neat today the kind of aircraft being brought back to flight worthy status. The Collings foundation has an F-4 phantom. I was at an airshow last week and saw a MiG-17 put on an airshow. There was a privately owned T-38 Talon there as well. But Holy cow ! A Vulcan !!!! Man that's a big airplane. =A0When I was a kid at a San Antonio, TX airshow ( Randolph AFB circa

1979 ) an RAF Vulcan put on an airshow. At the time I really didn't know what a Vulcan was. But years later when I found out more about the Vulcan ... I realized what I had witnessed back then. Cool stuff. Chris We saw one here in Austin (Bergstrom AFB) around the same time - probably the same plane "on tour." It was in the gray/green/white (lt. grey?) livery - the best scheme ever seen on this aircraft (in my opinion). As it made a low-level pass, it banked to show its underside, with the bomb bay doors open. Totally "Star Wars"...lol.

I'm always going out to take Pics of WW-2 Aircraft when it's possible for me to do so. I've got enough Pics of the Collings B-17 ''Nine-O-Nine'' and their B-24 with several paint jobs tostart thinking about doing one of those Walk-Around style web pages. I like taking Pics of All kinds of Planes. But I never ever got the chance to get Pice of the VULCAN. Damn that's One Big Plane

I love to get the chance one day to see it as well as take about 5 or 6 Rolls of Film

I really do envy anybody who has actually seen it up close and seen it Fly around it's always been a Favorite Bomber of Mine. I remember to one from in the James Bond Movie that just Glided into the Water and then went under. It's a Really Big Really Impressive Plane.

Do they make any kind of a Decent 1/48 Scale Kit of that. I mean One that comes in Real Plastic that you can Glue together without having to alter all the parts to fit.

... Carl ..........

,,

Reply to
cyberborg 4000

there is a vac-form that is really nice. i also saw a 1/32 scratch that was almost beyond belief.

Reply to
someone

Never got to see the Vulcan but I do have pics of the Victor tanker that came to one of the Harrisburg shows. That one was in Hemp and Light Grey. I 'think' it was from 57 Sqn. Loved that high-flying tail!

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller