PL NX-01..Bad news...

Just got off their website. They was suppose to be out December 2003. It was changed to January of next year. NOW IT IS DELAYED FOR MARCH!

What the heck is goin on? I guess it will not even come out. Now it pisses me off and say the heck with PL and get a decent one from Bandai.

I like to get it so i could put it with my carrier.

William

Reply to
William L. Powell

I have the Bandai NX-01 and would probably rather have the PL kit. The Bandai kit is OK, but I'm not crazy about the silver color they used for much of the finish. My big gripe with the kit is the shuttlebay. The stand connection goes right through the forward shuttlebay doors, causing them to be split in the middle crosswise, which looks bad. Also, the red striping and NX-01 Enterprise titles around the shuttlebay doors are completely missing. Basically, the bay doors are just simple, undetailed depressions which look like someone forgot to detail this area.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

Maybe they're holding off to see if the show survives. They wouldn't want to be producing a kit for the Star Trek that gets heaved.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Why would Enterprise get canned?

dont they have a 6 or 7 season contract?I don't think it's THAT bad... I think people are overloaded...16 years of one trek or another every week...

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

because it blows big ole chunks?

Relax it'll get here when it's ready. The December was the best case scenario when I talked to Polar Lights at the Rosemont trade show this past fall. The initial test shot was to arrive a couple of weeks after the show. They said that typically it takes 2-3 test shots to get molds ready for production run. The tests allow corrections to the kits fit and finish. If you do not think this kit will make it then I suggest you take a look at:

I've been tracking this project since it was announced Sept 2002. I have many standing orders into my shop for this as well as follow on Trek models by Polar lights.

Dave Henk Jacksonville, FL

Reply to
Dave Henk

Enterprise isn't pulling the ratings UPN would like. It's scoring slightly lower than Voyager did.

I like Enterprise, but I can't see it going five seasons, let alone seven like TNG, DS9 and Voyager did. They'll probably close up after 4 seasons/100 eps so they can sell the reruns into syndication. I love Star Trek, but even I can see the need to put the franchise to bed for awhile before it becomes unpalatable.

Sat

Reply to
Saturn S. Padua

Doesn't upset me that the PL NX-01 is a little delayed. I could just as easily gripe about Fine Molds' Slave 1 being late too, but I won't. It looked pretty bleak four years ago, when AMT/Ertl and Revell Monogram dropped their sci-fi licenses (Star Wars/Trek/Babylon 5/ Galactica) For a moment, it looked as if Sci-Fi models were going the way of the dodo.

I'm just thankful that there are still model companies willing to tackle sci-fi. Doubly thankful that the kits coming out today are vastly superior in quality to the ones I built ten years ago.

Have you seen the test shot pics of the NX-01? It will be well worth the wait.

Sat

Reply to
Saturn S. Padua

Amen. Sci-fi modeling seems to have that proverbial double edged sword quality about it. The vehicles/figures/creatures/accessories/stuff presented therein provide much to make excellent, fun models to build, but the audience to buy/build is tiny compared to other subjects, almost minuscule.

It's one reason I personally like Bandai with it's Gundam series, and Games Workshop with it's WarHammer/WarHammer 40k stuff. "Hard-core" modelers hem and haw about the kits either being snap-together (Gundam) or "not real" (WarHammer) but it's those subjects that are helping to bring in some fresh meat into the hobby. That never hurts.

Hopefully the same can be said for the Fine Molds Slave I. I read that either the Jango Fett or Boba Fett versions can be made from it.

I'll gladly wait for either one if it means bumping up the quality a couple notches. I'd rather wait and have good product (DML T-34 1940, most of the Fine Molds Star Wars models) than pump out mediocre product in a short time (AMT/ERTL Star Wars models).

Reply to
Steve

William,

I understand your frustration, but here's where NX-01 is at, as I type this:

The model is in it's test shot phases right now. Unfortunately, the working drawings for this kit were delayed quite a bit, due to their being outsourced.

Although I have been in the model scene for better than 50 years (since age 8), and have been involved in the industry in just about level, I can certainly appreciate that any sci-fi model kit presents a lot of unusual shapes, contours, and if a complex kit (NX-01 has close to 200 parts), a lot of fit problems that must be resolved before it can go into production. Add to this that with tooling being done overseas, communication back and forth does also take considerable time.

Rest assured, Dave Metzner at PL is working just about as fast as he humanly can, however, NX-01 isn't the only thing on his plate. I have, however, seen the test shots, both loose parts, and built, and this will be one very nice, and impressive piece once it gets into production.

For those who wonder if somehow this project has been "cancelled", that wouldn't make much sense to do, seeing as how the tooling has been cut, which is the MAJOR expense in any model kit. That I can assure all is not the case--it just takes time, and the delay in release is due as much to the delay in delivery of the working drawings as anything else.

Art Anderson Johnny Lightning Product Development (just down the hallway from Polar Lights)

Reply to
EmilA1944

Geez! Take a Ritalin and calm down! It's obvious that you don't work in a project-oriented environment. Schedules are management tools, not gospel. Don't ever bet your life on an announced date/time of anything. When was the last time your airplane left/arrived on time? When was the last time you met a friend for lunch who didn't keep you waiting? I don't know why people believe that companies are any more capable of delivering on schedule than people are capable of getting to work on time ;^).

It would be really nice if the bus arrived on time, kids got home from dates by 9PM, people arrived at work on time to relieve you from your shift, and UPS delivered the model kits you ordered over the web on the same day. The real world is very messy and "the unforseen" happens. I work in the aerospace industry where we "desparately" work to meet schedules and delivery dates but frequently a task turns out involve much more work than anticipated, a key team member develops a life-threatening disease (this has happened more than once), vendors and subcontractors are late with their components, the prime contactor has to reallocate your funds so you have to rearrange your schedule, sometimes you are actually AHEAD of schedule and have to offload some of your staff temporarily, etc. The bottom line is; Yes, you try to make schedule, No sometimes you can't. The Real World is not an ideal place to in which to operate with ideal expectations. But stuff DOES get delivered almost in spite of the obstacles that crop up to prevent the work getting done.

Five years from now, this whole "personal disaster" is going to mean nothing! In the meantime, breathe, savor the anticipation, pop open a brew, and enjoy just being alive!

Martin

Reply to
Martin

AMEN to that brudder..!!!

There was some question of did FineMolds have the blessing of Lucas or were the Lucas lawyers (not Sikorsky again..) going after them and would we even see the Tie Interceptors..

HLJ tells me mine are on the way, so I am hopeful that the line survives..

I'd love a new Falcon or any of the walkers AT-AT or AT-ST..A wing, Snowspeeder, Y wing.. as long as they are in constant scale with the others.

Mike please remove "diespam" to reply

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, perhaps you've misunderstood the situation.

Reply to
MLDHOC

Geez, if you want an AT-AT in the same scale as the fighters, you'd better have an extra bay in your garage to park it in.

Cliff. Jones

Reply to
Cliff Jones

Scale Model Technologies released a 1/48 resin AT-AT. The thing was huge, but excellently cast form what little I got to see of it. George Lucas's lawyers shut them down, though, so no more of them are made.

I thought all of that had been hashed out before even the X-Wing was made? The adverts on HLJ made it sound like Fine Molds had the Big ol' honking green light for lots of the Star Wars universe. An article in Modeler's Resource seem to allude to the Star Wars "camp" deeply desirous of getting its "brand" back into the model realm, but wanted top-notch quality first.

Amen. I'd like to see those myself, and every vehicle from the original trilogy, Episodes One and Two, and the vehicles from the Knights of the Old Republic and Crimson Guard storylines. Bring'em all out, I'll buy what I can.

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Hub & Diane Plott

nah.. in 1/72 it wouldn't be all that much bigger than the old and cruddy AMT kit. The falcon seemed close to 1/72 as well.. It's not like I'm asking for a 1.72 Star or dare I mention Super Star Destroyer.. slobber drool......

Mike please remove "diespam" to reply

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, perhaps you've misunderstood the situation.

Reply to
MLDHOC

Mr. Anderson,

Weeeve been waiting forrrrr you!!! (sorry, couldn't resist)

Seriously, I'm sure all of us appreciate the hard work that Polar Lights as put into the Star Trek projects, and the excellent result that has come out so far.

Me, I'm not thinking so much of the NX-01 as the upcoming D7, and the Warbird; nownownownownownownownownownownow!!!

(sorry. got excited) :))

Would you have any idea what might be next, after the Warbird? Is Polar Lights thinking of producing any Movie-era ships?

To All: speaking of Polar Lights and such, Thomas Models has a link to an associate site,

, that provides kits to convert the Polar Lights Enterprise to the Scout/Destroyer, the Transport Tug, or the Dreadnought from the original Franz Joseph Designs in the Starfleet Manual (which I still have).

Reply to
Caesy Tompkins

Hooo-boy, Now I am in trouble! :)

Uhm, would you believe I am finishing up the trade show display piece of the D-7? It's done from an early test shot, but once I get the paintwork done, it should be cool.

Art

Reply to
EmilA1944

I can be as patient as I can, considering the detail I've seen of the test shots, I can understand the delay. lots of parts and lots of fit problems to resolve. I can always play around with my Art Asylum toy anyway :-) What I'm really chomping at the bit for is the Romulan Bird of Prey

Reply to
Phil Campbell