Long. mostly On Topic wasRe: Large Models -plastic or otherwise

humblejohn asked:

do i have to get into the model manuf >business?

Odds are that unless you hit the lottery, you can't afford it. The manufacturing end isn't cheap, even if you parcel every thing out. A set of dies including the master patterns will go well past a quarter of a million bucks for an injection molded kit, we're not talking low pressure molding or limited run. With communicatios the way they are today, you had better have your research down pat and inspection points well defined, or the word of mouth might kill your operation in it's first release. Be prepared to have the lack of quality of your lineage drug through the print and electronic media. Be prepared to be told that you don't know what you are doing, lack skill, knowledge, the parts are wrong, decals are terrible, paint schemes are inaccurate and the relief tube is omitted or out of scale. Knowing the above, you will then find out that aircraft are not the biggest sellers or have the necessary profit margins to sustain your operation. Then some dork in outer Slovencia will bootleg and undersell a cheap copy of your best kit(s). The current supply and assortment of availablekits is probably better than it has ever been in the past 50 years and they still can't produce what everyone wants "RIGHT NOW" for the cheap price. Such as the 1/72nd scale C-5 with operating landing gear or my 1/32nd scale RB-57A with operating election seats and droppable tip tanks.

Excuse me but I have to leave to get to the "Train Shop" to get my aircraft goodies and some basswood fo the masters that I need to carve this weekend. How come those guys don't stay open until midnight?

Not intended to be a rant, just thinking out loud.

Oxmoron1 MFE

Reply to
OXMORON1

Those would be for the losers, right?

The Old Timer

I know why he wants in such a large scale! The bloodstains and loose teeth on the windshield would be so much easier to replicate! ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Cuz we like to get home and work on our models too. Then, at 2:00 am we slap our heads and go "Why didn't I pick THAT up at the shop???? Doh!!!"

Dean

Reply to
Dean Eubanks

Dean wrote in reply to:

This answer

SEE! If you had stayed at the shop you might have:

  1. Avoided having to forgo completion of your project until the next evening.
  2. Avoided a possible bad encounter with your significant other.
  3. Made the sale that might have made your sales target for the month/year/decade.
  4. Been mentioned on this newsgroup as the best hobbyshop in the world/nation/state/city or universe.

But if you went home to work on your models, attend the birth of your firstborn, attend to your sick cat/dog, great ready to travel to a hobby contest or do research for the Fruitbat project, you are possibly excused.

Oxmoron1

Reply to
OXMORON1

Bill offered in reply to the Old Timer's remark:

This possiblity:

NO! It would provide a possible diorama subject for AzHozer to apply fecal matter on and get kicked out of another contest.

Rick

Reply to
OXMORON1

Are you talking about the relief tube again???

The Old Timer

fecaphiliacs are damn wierd....