Plane Crash

There is a term for that kind of bad conduct. It's called assault and battery.

I hold the door for ladies all the time. Never had a remark or action such as you experienced. The worst I ever get is no "Thank you" or indication of same. Don't expect anything in return, but it's nice to hear and/or see once in a while.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

That's the way I was raised and I ain't quitting now. Courtesy seems to be dying out but I wouldn't fel better for acting like a boor just because everyone else is.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Thank you, Gloria Steinham! 8~P

The Old Timer

From the other side of the door... :-)

I used to say "the only thing women's lib got us is doors slammed in our faces instead of held open for us"...

BTW I get MANY more doors held open for me in urban/downtown areas than in suburban areas. One memorable moment was when I was exiting the suburban shopping mall and the spoiled person in front of me let go, just as I was going through the door with an armload of presents... 52 card-pick-up anyone?! And this was in the days before SUVs and cell phones...

(humph) So much for suburbanites looking down their noses at "dirtbag" city dwellers...

Sister Mary

-- M. J. Rudy snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

NEW ADDRESS:

mjrudy

You are part of the sad social situation, and you perpetuate the hate and discontent when you 'pull strings'. Grow up.

You exposed yourself as an 'idiot' with your childish, contentious, pointless, and bated post.

You are the only one that 'proves your point'. You'd have heard no hurrahs for me about the death of any fellow human being. YOU brought up the issue and made false, broad, and general accusations.

I'm sorry your father is not with us. However, I wonder if he'd be proud of a man that throws out bating, contentious, and accusatory statements 'just for fun'?

And, you, Mr. Skipper, have appointed yourself the 'Keeper Of The Truth'?

Perhaps you haven't done your service or the country a dishonor... but certainly you have done yourself a dishonor. Regards, John

Reply to
John A.

I hold the door for whoever and I also appreciate the same courtesy if someone else holds the door.

Reply to
Ron

Probably a "Lizzie"! :-)

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

'Course, if we could all just get along and stop coveting our neighbour's posessions, we wouldn't need doors, and the problem would go away. :-)

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Gary.

The problem with this whole Usenet thingy is the lack of precise communication skills often evidenced by the users. Was that barb aimed at the original poster, in concert with my comment? Or was it aimed at me, as a poor reply to my comment? Please let me know, so that I can more easily make the decision about the worth of your contributions in future.

RobG

____________________________________________________________________________ __

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

That is pretty much how I see things. I figure all this equality stuff has largely been at womens' expense (at least among civilized folk). But, if that is how they want it, fine, let's all play by the same courtesy rule set. But then, I am told that I generally expect too much from people.

Reply to
SamVanga

I can see it now: "Ah, excuse me, just passing through. You two carry on..."

Maybe in your tropical paradise a door may not be necessary but right now it's close to freezing outside and I'm freakin' happy to have the doors! :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

It was directed at you. And that should have been obvious from the quoting.

But as you are a top-poster _and_ a banana-bender, I shall expand upon it, so that you can reduce your ignorance, and hopefully interpret the next message that quotes you with ease.

In response to my posting suggesting that the priestly, political, and military castes be collectively obliterated, you replied, after what must have been extensive research and a great deal of thought, "Grow up."

In replying to this message, I quoted your name, (as in "Rob Grinberg wrote:"), then what you wrote (as repeated above), then followed that with my suggestion for you, to whit, "Drop dead, seriously." Which, of course, I followed with my usual signature.

Do you see how the sequence of lines as typed originally is meant to represent a conversation held over a discontinuous medium (i.e. Usenet) in a simple and direct manner? And that top-posting, with its concomitant failure to snip the contents of previous message(s) makes such conversations much harder to follow?

I hope that this missive has been of some aid in your continuing education in the usages of Usenet.

Cheers, Gary B-)

Reply to
Gary R. Schmidt

neighbour's

That's what ya get fer livin' inna winter wonderland. I like my tropical paradise, thank-you, even with the feral tourists - Aussie ones as well as the wee beasties from overseas. But couldn't you just hang a caribou hide over the hole and stay in bed? :-)

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

I didn't realize you were *that* talented! What do you lay? ;-p

Reply to
Al Superczynski

We'd have to import the hides from the Great White North and I get bored laying in bed all day. I'm with you on the tourists, however. They'll finally go home after the last post-Christmas sale at the outlet malls and then we can travel through the Blight and see what's changed since last year. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Touche. In my defence had I said I was lying in bed all day folks here would say that it doesn't stop there. :) The most that gets laid on my bed is the day's mail, until I get to look at it. ;]

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

old> What snide comments do you predict? I am liberal on many old> issues, moderate on some, conservative on some. Maybe the old> issues I am liberal on just aren't the right ones to generate old> snide comments concerning a tragedy. It may be just me, but old> what offends me is that a person would use the fatal crash of old> a jet to politically bash anyone. Kind of a cheap shot, I old> think. However, it could be that I am being oversensitive old> though...considering that my brother and his wife were killed old> in a light jet accident just might be tainting my opinion a old> bit....or maybe I just hate cheap shots. Or maybe I think old> people ought to write on topic posts. You know, I think I old> have heard about as many cheap shots from conservatives as I old> have from liberals. Two sides the of the same coin maybe? old> Put them in red coats, put them in blue coats, they lie and old> steal just the same? Or maybe just that a person that is old> totally liberal or totally conservative is either stupid or old> mean-spirited...or both. I'm starting to get angry so I old> better stop writing.

old> Al

Nice one, Al, better than I could have put in. Consolations....

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug