Polar Lights - Do They Do Only Aurora Repops?

saw in an earlier post that the Revell Nuke Power plant kit was at one time going for $3000.

Does PL only do Aurora or do they have the rights, etc to other long gone molds like the nuke ????

Craig

Reply to
Craig

PL does vintage stuff they think will sell. Assuming the mold is still functional. As I understand it the Addams family house was remastered from a vintage kit because the mold was unusable. Revellogram has the rights etc. to all Aurora properties; I doubt the nuke station mold is available. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

They had an agreement of some sort with Revell who owns the original molds. That agreement became unsatisfactory and I do not believe we will see many more Aurora re-pops by PL if Revell has anything to say about it. Cheers, Max Bryant

Reply to
M Bryant

Well, PL did the Planet of the Apes kits that were originally made by Addar which was a company formed of former Aurora employees. So technically those repops are not Aurora kits.

Some of the kits they did along side of the Aurora kits were original. The

1960s Batmobile was a new kit marketed with the Aurora repops of the Batplane, Batboat and Batcycle. Rob Gronovius Modern US armor at
Rob Gronovius

Yes, and I enjoyed the vintage drag racing stuff they're doing. I wonder what the sales figures were like for Jason?

I wonder if the contract was dissolved after PL was purchased by Racing Chumpions?

They've got the ability to do original stuff. It's just a matter of getting license for the right subject. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

A clarification: As I said before, Norm ~wanted~ $3,000 for his still-sealed Nuke Power Palnt. He didn't get it before he died and his son never mentioned what ~he~ sold it for. All I know for sure is that Norm sold his other copy (with a rather beat-up box, but otherwise intact) for $1,500. As to your question, I somehow don't see Revell liscensing out the molds from ~any~ of their old kits. Dog-in-the-manger time here; they have the molds (most of them anyway) but won't use them because they don't generate 99.99% profit, so they sit and rust; but still ~you~ (or Polar Lights) can't use them. Damned beancounters......

The Old Timer

So how much profit do they think it generates by rusting?

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Agreed, absolutely none! But this way they aren't contributing to the profits of a competetor. And that, to a beancounter mentality, is everything.

The Old Timer

PL is still gonna do some Aurora repops, the Cap America model is on it's way. Besides that, they are doing some great things now that they have an agreement with Paramount to do Star Trek Models. The NX-01 is a beauty. Not to mention thier Frobidden Planet C-57 or the LIS Jupiter II, all original. The big question is now that they are part of RC/Ertl, will we see the Ertl Star Trek kits back out?

Reply to
Phil Campbell

Since PL was recently sucked into the RC/Ertl orbit I doubt R-M would go along with that but then who knows what businessmen will do? Aside from that PL started making some car kits of their own. Their '65 Dodge Coronet is a nice little model even with its faults. The alternative is way too rare to find everyday anyway. They also have a '64 GTO soon/now available that will probably be as good. What the future of PL's car program is...who knows?

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

All of those kits are out-of-production. :(

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I wonder if the Excelsior and Enterprise-B are close enough to their 1/1000 scale kits. I wonder if they could tease more detail into the molds.

I'm really hoping eventually we'll get more than six or seven ship models that are actually in the same scale!

Reply to
Jack Bohn

Yeah Cap is supposed to be coming but that was something announced before Mr. Lowe sold the company. The C-57 and Jupiter 2 are great kits. They sadly are out of production.

Cheers, Max Bryant

Reply to
M Bryant

No, not just Aurora repros, Polar Lights also owns the Johnny Lightning line. This is why AMT/ERTL bought Polar Lights. So far, there has been no announcments regarding any changes in their model kit line. Capt. America should be out soon. They have made some changes/improvements to him. The differences should please the traditionalists that own the original Aurora Capt. America.

Sincerely

-------James Whitman Kitkong's Model Mansion

Kitkong

Since AMT dropped trekas too expensive,will they also drop the PL trek kits for the same reason?

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Your guess is as good as mine. I hope not, but it all depnds on AMT/Ertl

Reply to
Kitkong