Accurate Tiger I Paint Question

The Tamiya Tiger I kit directions call for "German Grey" for the overall grey paint scheme. However, the Tamiya German Grey looks too dark. Any recommendations from the tanks experts on the correct paint color or mix for the overall grey Tiger I?

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
MAYSUN5961

any history as to why grey was picked? not exactly good camo and such a huge contrast to the later camo patterns used on German armor.

Craig

R> Fresh panzer grey was a very dark, almost black grey with a tinge of > blue to it.

Reply to
Craig

Supposedly, the gray was to conceal the vehicles in the shadows beneath tree cover during build-ups. Once the armored divisions were on the move, concealment was thought not to be an issue, as they had air superiority at the start of the war. Dark gray was very dark when fresh, but could appear dramatically lighter with only a slight coating of dust. However, the standard paint was so dark, it was nearly indistinguishable from the dark gray rubber on the road wheels. There are a few b&w factory photos of Tigers which were delivered in a lighter color in 1942, which may have been the medium gray shade used on railroad engines. The Henschel factory in Kassel also build locomotives, and this color may have been substituted when the regulation gray was in short supply. GPO

Reply to
GERYO

Matched the uniforms, looked good on TV....

Reply to
Polo Player