Primers

For a long time now, since the nineties, I have been using Krylon primer, after it was touted so much on this group. Lately, however, I am finding they have changed the mixture and it is not as good as it was. Sometimes now hotter finishes seem to craze or affect it- it used to be bulletproof for ANY finish.

I have found Duplicolor auto primer to be even worse. It seems to be some sort of acrylic now. Hot finishes like cellulose lacquers definitely affect it.

What are other people using these days other than hobby shop primers (which are very expensive and not that good, in my experience)? I like something with a lot of filler so it can cover scratches and minor flaws.

I gripe- paints that say lacquer, but do not note they are ACRYLIC lacquer. If it says lacquer, my assumption is that it is a cellulose lacquer.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Tamiya rattle can primers are what I'm mostly using. Yes, a hobby shop primer, but it's pretty economical in use, takes any finish you care to shoot over the top of it and it does have good filling properties. Halfords auto finish primers are good too, but I'm not sure what the US equivalent of those would be.

Reply to
Flakmonkey

Is the Tamiya usable with enamels and lacquers, or is it only for acrylics?

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Don Stauffer wrote in news:49661523$0$87064$ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net:

Seems to work with everything. I use it as a primer on tank tracks, even older ones and it seems to work fine.

Reply to
Gray Ghost