What has happened to all the decent Primers?

Is there any company that distributes in the US that produces a good grey primer for resin and mixed media model kits anymore? It seems Tamiya primer grey has completely disappeared from hobby store shelves (I keep hearing they're "reformulating" their paints) along with Floquil, the 2 best, finest grain primers I know of. I keep getting recommendations to use various primers sold mostly at auto parts retailers but they all turn out to be extremely heavy, detail obscuring thick paints or worse, adhere poorly to resin parts.

Anyone know of options?

T.B.

Reply to
TB

You might check here;

They had a good lacquer primer that worked well with models. It didn't hid trim and I've used it on both plastic and resin. I've used automotive lacquers and enamels over it with good results.

Mike G.

Reply to
Mike G.

Dunno US availability, but Gunze Mr Resin Primer is quite good Don't reply to the btconnect address - and remove nospam!!

Reply to
Dave Fleming

Many have been singing the praises of Gunze's "Mr. Surfacer".

Also, I have gotten surprisingly good results with cheap old WalMart matte gray spray paint...the 98 cents-a-can variety.

Also remember, it is not necessary to get complete coverage; as just a simple "dusting" is needed to provide "tooth" for subsequent paints.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

I have bought three cans of Mr. Resin, and could not get any to spray properly.. Maybe I will try again. (probably spent more in gas returning than them themselves...)

Mr. Surfacer (500 and 100) OTOH is the best stuff I have ever seen for model primer ! The gray seems to sell out fast..........

I also do very much like the Tamiya primer as well.

Allan

Reply to
AM

The auto primers DO tend to obscure the fine details a bit because of the high solid content, but this is good for covering scratches and pits. I have never had a problem with them adhering to styrene, and the only problems I have had with them adhering to resin is when I did not wash parts first.

To reduce the obscuration of detail, when I want a thin coat I just do not shake it very long. This results in a thinner coat.

Krylon did have a problem about a year ago, but they have fixed it. I learned about Krylon sandable primer from this group, and still swear by it.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Don't fret! Tamiya (and Gunze) have been caught up with new rules regarding English safety labeling and have slowed imports until the new labels can be done and shipped out.

Reply to
The Model Hobbit

Odd Lotts Touch-n-Tone by DAP, similar but a bit lighter in shade and consistancy than Kmarts Fresh (whatever the call it now). TnT sands well, covers w/o obscuring detail even on 25mm figures and dries real quick.

-- Chuck Ryan snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEatt.net Springfield OH

Reply to
Chuck Ryan

Thanks for the tip. I actually got lucky and found an old train store that had Floquil primer so I bought out their whole inventory (6 cans).

T.B.

Reply to
TB

If you don't have Floquil's Dust, Grimey Black, Old Silver and New Silver in your paint inventory you should go back to that store and get some. Especially if they are OLD lacquer base formula. They dry quicker and are harder than the new formula.

-- Chuck Ryan snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEatt.net Springfield OH

Reply to
Chuck Ryan

Ahhhh...the good ol' days, with the *old* Floquil. Did *anything* spray better? And "Old Silver", in my opinion, is about the *best* paint to use as a base color for doing any natural metal finish.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Don, "don't shake it too long" ?! That makes no sense to me.

Have you ever seen a bottle of primer siphoned from a spray can? The solids settle on the bottom.

Have you ever taken apart an empty spray can? The pickup tube picks up paint from the bottom of the can!

If you don't shake it much, you'll be mostly spraying the thick stuff from the bottom of your can!

Unless you have some magical can in which the pickup tube floats on the top of the liquid... Hmm...

Try again... Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

The old Humbrol and Pactra authentic colors from the 70's sprayed as well as Floquil.

Reply to
Ron

Do I ever miss Hot Rod Primer!

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller

HRP was my color of choice for painting tires and for German cockpits until I managed to get a hold of Xtracolor's version of RLM-66.

Don McIntyre Clarksville, TN

Reply to
Don McIntyre