Question about eBay jargon...

The guy thinks he's a pro 'cause he built them..conversely, it's someone who bought it at an estate auction and thinks the "pro" word will get a higher price. I've won some contests in the past, so I guess that makes me a "pro". However, most of my models are "two footers", --they look good from two feet away.

So, if I said a model I did was "pro built", would I be lying if I sold someone one of my lesser efforts, (the ones I won't show to anyone besides good friends) or not? Jerry 47

Reply to
jerry 47

Over the years I've seen lots of work produced by many of the regular posters here on RMS: I've been to contests (as an observer); I've read all the regular trade mags for far too many moons. Point is, I think I've got a pretty good handle on "what's possible" in terms of very high quality model building.

Lately I've noticed more and more completed models on eBay with the term "Pro Built" in the description. Exactly what does this mean? What are the criteria (if any) for saying something has been built by a pro?

Honestly not looking to start a flame-fest, just trying to understand "the system."

Reply to
Randy Millar

That phrase is intended to make you think the model is made by someone who knows what they are doing. As a result, you expect the model to be well built and nicely finished. You would tend to bid more $ for a well made model. Sometimes that is the case. I have seen some great models on e-bay. Often, however, it's an attempt to mislead the buyer, IMHO. I don't think there are any standards as to what "pro built" means. If it means that you get paid for what you do, then as soon as you sell a model, you are a pro. :-) There are many examples of poorly made models on E-Bay that the seller says are "pro built"

Ron

Reply to
OSTIAANTIC

Randy Millar wrote: : : Lately I've noticed more and more completed models on eBay with the term : "Pro Built" in the description. Exactly what does this mean? What are : the criteria (if any) for saying something has been built by a pro? : Send e-mail to the seller, and as him what his qualifications are to describe his work as "pro-built".

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

Plus.....those very few modelers who can actually be considered to be true "professionals" would most likely NOT be "hawking" their pieces on eBay. They would usually have sold any piece long before they started building it; or would have already sold it to one of their "regulars" early in the building period. These people tend to operate on the "commissioned piece" principle.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

If I built a model, and it was truly of "pro built" grade, I'd post some photos, and let the potential buyer see how good it looked.

In general, if they have to say something specific, without naming the names, chances are it's a crock.

Sort of like claiming a celebrity once owned a car, so asking for more money in the sale, but refusing to name said celebrity to verify the claim. If I was selling a pro's work, you can be damn sure I'd let everyone know how proud I was to have his or her craftsmanship up on my table for bidding. Lack of names makes me suspicious.

Reply to
Chris

It means whatever the seller wants it to mean.

Probably either (1) It was built by someone who charges money to build models for other people; or (2) It was built by a very skilled modeller. (Note that #1 doesn't necessarily require much skill -- just more skill than the average non-modeler.)

Only one criteria: The seller chooses to say it.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

"Pro", or "profesional", generally means one who does that as their vocation. That's why if you're not a "pro", you're an amateur. There is an eBay seller who, while I don't think he claims to be a professional, but that he's been building for about 15 - 20 years & mentions how many hours it took him to build & detail the particular kit. From his pics, he's OK. Strange thing tho, none of his canopy frames are painted!! I wonder why.

Reply to
famvburg

As an "old" professional model builder, working on models ranging up to $900,000.00. I was in the engineering/architectural modeling field for almost 30 years. Pro meant you made 80% of your living from that type of occupation. I consider myself a very good modeler, was the lead tech most of those years in a major engineering firm but must say several of my friends were Exceptional modelers but were only amateurs because they didn't make a living at it, being a pro doesn't make you good, only means you make your income at it. I built contest models for awhile and could hold my own in most contest but most of my work now is out of the box with extra paint detailing, building for fun and no contest. Building professionally isn't much fun, you build what THEY want, the way THEY want and finished when THEY say it has to be done, sort of takes the enjoyment out of building. Just my $ .02. Sam

Reply to
Sam