Re: cutting gun ports in wooden ship model?

Any model wooden sailing warship builders out there?

> > I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to support the > planking arround gun ports in a wooden 17th century warship model. > > Basically I have to cut the (lower deck) gun ports throught the side > of the hull, but that'll cause the planks to pop out due to the slight > curve, or fall out between ports if there is no rib in between. Also

May I respectfully suggest you become a member of the following free email list. You will definately get all the assistance you could want with wooden model ships. The list is moderated by the owner of Seaways Ships in Scale magazine. Nice folks there, and super helpful.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
John DeBoo

The best solution I have found is to paint the entire hull with a thin coat of epoxy fibre glassing resin. however that said if you have glued the planks as you laid them you shouldn't have any problem with planks springing or sinking when you cut the ports (I never have) if it worries you though some reinforcement on the inside of the hull would be recommended. is the hull single or double planked? if it's only a single planked model the reinforcement would be strongly recommended. The hull on the real beasts was quite thick over the gun decks and a single layer would not accurately reflect that.

Reply to
Umineko

Yes it is single planked. That's why I felt that a 2nd layer inside would be a good idea since if any boards did pop,sink or fall out they would be harder to fix up correctly than the effort of lining the inside would be as a starting precaution..

As for that resin coating ... I assume you are refering to the inside of the hull...???

I've looked on the wooden ship FAQ webpage but they didn't address gun ports.. at least as well as I could see, though I did read a lot of other interesting and informative stuff.

Cheers, voigt

Reply to
Voigt Lander

Eermmm Yeah sorry about that The resin defiantly goes on the inside, binds everything together very nicely

Reply to
Umineko