Engine Service in H0

Hi together

Perhaps this questions sounds a bit strange but I live in Switzerland and have not so many possibilitis to see some real yards and engine services.

I'd like to start building a domino layout and for the first step I'll build up a modern engine service. can you help me to fnd out what is needed in it except of a fuel station and a roundhouse or something like that?

thanks for your help

nice greetings from could, white zurich martin

Reply to
Martin

Martin,

Well, let me tell you a bit about myself first. I work for CSX in the North Jersey area as a conductor, so I'll tell you about the practices where I work.

In modern-day North American railroading, locomotives aren't stored in roundhouses. Structures are used for work, such as "major" repairs, but light repairs and fueling can be done in the open air.

In the South Kearny yard, there is no engine facility as modelers like to think; it's a three-track area called the "Relay." Mechanics inspect the "power" (the term we use for the engines), and they're fueled by a tanker truck that drives up and runs a hose to the fuel tanks. Something similar takes place at the North Bergen yard, only there is no designated engine servicing area, though the power is moved to an area accessible by the fuel truck.

In Selkirk, NY, there is an engine facility, complete with fuel lines, sanding towers, etc., but engines are generally kept outdoors. While there is a hard surface (concrete) for workmen to walk about the engines, there are no high-level walkways for inspections, though there are some in a recently-built shelter.

You obviously have some flexibility, then, in designing your service facility. I recommend letting the adjacent yard guide your facility's design.

Dieter Zakas

Reply to
Hzakas

```````` Greetings, Martin.

Perhaps the following book would be helpful to you to order. Good luck with your project!

Paul - "The CB&Q Guy Rural Illinois, in the Midwest, *USA*

Reply to
Paul K - The CB&Q Guy

Paul - "The CB&Q Guy replied: Perhaps the following book would be helpful to you to order. Good luck with your project

----------------------------------------------- Here's another source for the book Paul suggested, "Guide to Locomotive Servicing Terminals":

It's 30% off list.

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

Hi all

Thanks for that informations. I found out that I can buy this book in an online shop here in switzerland :-) The delivery time is about three weeks but ok.... I'll wait....

Hzakas: Thanks especialy to you. It's very interesting for me to have direct Informations from the other side of the world....

So I have to order a book now :-)

Greetings from Switzerland Martin

"Martin" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:40450387$1 snipped-for-privacy@news.bluewin.ch...

Reply to
Martin

Bill,

The cheapest I found was $10.77 or about 40% off of list.

It is interesting to note that "New" sells cheaper than "Used" sometimes.

Take care,

Art

Art Marsh