Model Railway Gun Question

Hiya Folks!

I'm a plastic model builder who's into 1/72 scale

airplanes and armour. I have a friend who's VERY

MUCH into HO trains. He's mentioned that he'd love

to have a railway gun to run on his layout (yes,

it would fit).

Hasegawa made a 1/72-76 scale version of the WWII

German Leopold which I'd like to build. I've been

told that very early versions of this kit contained

adapters to let it run on HO track, I've also been

told that SOMEONE makes an adapter kit to let it

run on HO tracks. No one can confirm either of

these rumours for me on the rec.models.scale news-

group.

Do any of you folks know of any way I could adapt

this kit to fit, is there an adapter kit available,

or am I just going to have to build it and punt?

Please email any responses to the following address:

snipped-for-privacy@mnstate.diespamdie.edu

(Remove diespamdie to correct the address)

Thanks in advance folks.

Reply to
Andy Hill

--

From the computer of

Frank A. Rosenbaum

CC to author.

I used small bits of brass sheet stock cut to tiny squares and indented for

the HO scale axle. Glue them to the sideframes and insert the HO axle of

your choice.

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

Hi Andy,

Lima (Italy) made a model of Leopold in HO until a few days ago.

If you're quick, you should be able to find one new on the Internet.

It has come in various guises, ie single item/in train of support

wagons/train plus locos etc.

I personally would look on it as a basic model requiring detailing, but

then I'm relatively fussy.

I would consider 1:72 vs 1:87 to great a scale disparity.

Liliput/Bachmann makes some military models such as flak guns.

Regards,

Greg.P.

Andy Hill wrote:

Reply to
Gregory Procter

I don't know of such an adapter. Perhaps it was sold in Europe, but I've

never seen one here (USA). The Hasegawa model is common enough, however.

I've seen models so converted, but never paid much attention to how it

was done.

It should not be too hard to adapt HO wheelsets to the model. IIRC, it

has rather large wheels, perhaps 40" in HO scale. NWSL has such wheels

in a variety of sizes and axle configurations. The hardest part would be

adding some kind of bearing plates (brass?) to the inside of the truck

sideframes. There should be room, as the scale is 1/72 (larger than HO),

and the prototype was standard gauge, so the trucks should be

significantly wider than HO trucks.

Another, less accurate but perhaps easier, approach would be to hide HO

trucks under the model, perhaps inside the existing sideframes.

Cox also sold a plastic freelanced HO railway gun running on a mix of

four and six axle trucks. It wasn't an accurate model of anything, but

looked pretty much like a railway gun. It was perhaps 2/3 the size of

the Leopold model. These show up at flea markets quite often.

Good Luck.

Dan Mitchell

Andy Hill wrote:

Reply to