Re: OT Has UPS gone insane?

Kinkos is now owned by FedEx- they have humans to handle questions. A lot of office supply stores also can help you- that's the case here in the serious boondocks.

Reply to
Jim Atkins

you're not surronded by mailbox stores? even mu hiclsville has 3. give fedex a call, sometimes drop offs are in strange but close places.

sorry, that's my hicksville.

Mike G.

shhh, you know the black helicopters and tin foil hats? it's fedex, building a new site.

as does bidding sometimes.

We have a Fed Ex store about 2 miles from here and I have used them once. That involved weighing the package first then checking at Fed Ex, UPS and USPS websites for the lowest price. Mostly I use USPS Priority now since I found that offerring options to E-bay buyers confuses them.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-modeller

DHL and Airborne were two shipping companies on the do not use list at one workplace, the reason was constantly damaged shipments.

Reply to
Ron

Not quite--while working for a convention organization in the seventies, we found it was cheaper and surer to mail information packets weighing

2-4 pounds via UPS than with the Postal Service. In general, these days I prefer the USPS, because UPS's thrust is really commercial, and they pump up the price to reflect that. The other thing about UPS in my experience is that if you are willing to pay the frreight, they are the most likely to deliver goods on a tight deadline. Fortunately, at the price they charge, this is rarely a factor--the last time I had to overnight three pounds of books, it cost a bloody $72.00.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

No one in this thread (so far) had exposed the reason for the prices at UPS and FEDEX. Most of their stuff goes into airplanes. That means that weight is only one factor, and not the largest. The other is the size. You will pay more for a 1 pound shipment in a 2'x2'x2' box than you will a 1 pound shipment in a standard small box or envelope.

Cubic feet of real estate in an aircraft cargo hold (or cargo cabin) is more valuable than weight.

USPS prices are nearly 100% weight driven, and there is even a limit to the size of the box you can send that way.

Therefore, it is ususally cheaper to send USPS, but not always.

John W. Alger IPMS 10906

John Alger

weigh the package, is there??>>

I think there is an American Freight terminal in Joliet, they are also linked with FedUp Whether or not they handle walk-in stuff is up for grabs though. Here is a link to Fedup to find locations--

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete the word spam from email addy

Reply to
TimeTraveler658

John Alger wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That's an excellent point. I'll bet there is far more lift available than interior volume.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Yes, ya gotta stick to the KISS principle. I usually quote USPS for under ten pounds and Fedex for over ten. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper