meaning of aircraft interior colors

WWII aircraft come in a number of interior colours--lime green (American), grey green (British), metallic blue (Japanese), etc. As I
know that's the colour of the anti-corrosive primer painted on the inside--what kind of primer exactly is it?
Seb

American ac used zinc chromate primer; it was a dull yellow. For the inhabited interior spaces 1 part black to ten parts zinc chromate was combined to produce interior green zinc chromate usually called "interior green" by the hobby paint manufacturers. hth
The Keeper (of too much crap!)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comedy (Keeper) wrote in message

While they did indeed use zinc chromate primer, some was green, some yellow. Also, for interiors/cockpits, many areas were painted over to reduce glare. OD and flat black were popular interior colors when paint was used over prime. OD was used in lower areas, black near field of vision.
Don Stauffer in Minneapolis wrote:

Which just goes to show that there is really no *official* color. Remember, we have also seen more than a few references to Vought using a "salmon pink" as an interior color in some sections of Corsairs.
--

Greg Heilers
Registered Linux user #328317 - SlackWare 10.0
Greg Heilers wrote:

Ok can I rephrase my question a bit: what anti-corrosion paint would give a metallic blue colour as found in WWII Japanese planes? It seems like an unusual colour for a primer.
Seb
in article covqef$q95$ snipped-for-privacy@aphrodite.grec.isp.9tel.net, Seb at snipped-for-privacy@neuf.com wrote on 12/5/04 2:17 PM:

The "metallic blue" color (Aotake) found on many Japanese aircraft was not a primer. It was instead a clear anti-oxidant tinted with varying amounts of green/blue that was applied over natural metal. The "metallic" color was simply the metal showing through the tinted clear material. It was generally not used in crew areas but was applied to most areas of the inner airframe.
Primers were used when color coats of paint were required.
HTH
MB
Milton Bell wrote:

Interesting: that means the Tamiya metallic blue with slightly coarse flakes isn't ideal. If I were really good I'd alclad the interior and spray Tamiya clear blue, much like candy custom car colour.
Seb

Yeah, that's a shortcut. Effective in smaller scales.

That's the best way to do it; just the work of two colors involved. hth
The Keeper (of too much crap!)
in article snipped-for-privacy@mb-m19.aol.com, Keeper at snipped-for-privacy@aol.comedy wrote on 12/6/04 11:54 PM:

And failing to find the Tamiya clear colors, just tint some Future with blue/green food coloring and apply that over the Alclad. And for more "accuracy" you can vary the amounts added. And if the color accumulates in the corners and joints, so much the better.
MB

Nor need you worry that the tint is uniform from model to model. The actual anti-corrosion material was a clear phenolic lacquer; the tint was only added to indicate where the lacquer had been applied. It is likely the two components were mixed in batches at the plant and applied until the batch was exhausted, as there seems to be little uniformity in the color, which ranges through a spectrum of light green, blue green and blue.
MarkSchynert
Seems to be some belief that Green is a calming colour! Several older navy ships also had light green interiors. Back to the planes, the US useed mainly zincchromate green in smaller planes that vere only primed, while larger planes like bombers with people moving around they used bronce green (Real paint because of wear). Also been said that NAA in Dallas used this colour as interior colour in P-51's.
--

Claus Gustafsen
Strandby Denmark

"Lime green?" *shudder* Oh, and BTW, there's more than one type - zinc chromate green, Bell's interior green, etc.

AKA Aotake... and more of a laquer... and again, not on all aircraft.
While this can of worms is open...
Anybody have a Testors Model Master, Humbrol, etc suggestion to match the "Dull Dark Green" used in the cockpits of P-47Ds manufactured at Republic Aviation facilities?
Martin

"Dull Dark Green" used in the cockpits of P-47Ds manufactured at Republic Aviation facilities? Martin>>
Humbrol "Bronze Green" maybe? Or MM FS34079 "Dark Green". I could be way off here, so look for other opinions.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete the word spam from email addy
Some of the testors/floquil "military colors" packages available at places like wally world have a Dull Dark Green,no idea if it's a good match tho.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Martin) wrote in message

I've read that FS 34092 (Euro I Green) is a good match. I know the color is done by Modelmaster, but have no clue what the Humbrol Equivalant would be.
Don McIntyre Clarksville, TN

Humbrol Number for FS 34092 is Humbrol 149 Gunze Sangyo 302 Tamiya XF26 Testors 1764 and Xtracolor has X114 which is gloss and would need to be sprayed with a matt varnish. Hope this helps
Alastair Macfarlane