Re: Tech Question

Can someone tell me how to reduce the speed of my Dremel motor tool so the

> attachments don't melt the plastic but actually cut or sand it? I tried a > simple dimmer switch from Menards but the tool will only come on when the > dimmer is at full power, as soon as I turn it down the motor quits. > > How do I overcome this? > > Zack

Some folks have adapted the pedal control from sewing machines for speed control. I bought A speed control at my lhs a couple years ago, I still end up using sanding sticks, paper,whatever, more than my dremel for sanding. Grinding attachments work ok, just have to use very light touch and buy a flex shaft for better control.

-- Chuck Ryan Springfield OH

Reply to
Chuck Ryan

Dremel = 125-150w for the 220-230v version, depending on the model...

A basic dimmer switch will not work, since the Dremel's electronics regulate speed by varying power supply cycle duration, not voltage. Since that's also how these switches work, the two interfere with each other.

You should look in specialized electronics shops either for a speed regulator for thyristor-driven electrical motors, or a very basic, rheostat-based device that can vary the output voltage, not the cycle duration.

Or get a Proxxon motor tool...

Reply to
Serge D. Grun

From what I read of the original poster's post, he has a fixed speed drill with no duty-cycle electronics, a principle which lighting dimmers work on and your last paragraph is stating that the Dremel works on duty-cycle also.

Depending on the motor type it could be possible to take out the electronics and replace it with a thyristor circuit.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

The simplest, easiest, and cheapest is to buy a sewing machine foot pedal rheostat. New about $15 -$20 .. used about $2.00. The motor is a DC (or actually a "universal" motor. Works just fine on my variable speed Dremel. Gives a great deal of speed control and even more important, the ability to control speed with your foot .. giving you one hand for the work and one for the tool. Far more convenient.

Boris

Reply to
Boris Beizer

This is what you need...... The Dremel #221 Foot Speed Control

The Model Hobbit

Serge D. Grun wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.free.fr:

motor tool

cut or sand

tool will

as I turn it

power output of

power usage,

the model...

electronics

voltage.

interfere with each

a speed

basic,

the cycle

Dremel makes a speed regulator. Why reinvent the wheel? And risk damaging your tool?

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Second that; I've use a foot pedal that was intended for sewing machine usage for years now. Excellent results, and no damage to the tool. Invest in one!!

---Stephen Tontoni Seattle, WA

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

OK,

Sounds like the foot pedal might be the easiest, best way to go. I should clarify the situation though, I have a Craftsman brand two speed "Dremmel" style motor tool. I do have a flex shaft for it, but I find it hard to work with. I tend to clamp the tool to my workbench and use two hands to hold my parts. The dimmer switch I used on my first try was rated for 600 watts. I could not find anything on the tool that indicated amps, watts, or anything else. I buy Dremmel parts and attachments for the tool, but I did not know there was a foot pedal available.

Thanks

Zack

Reply to
Zack