[Q] Dremel, does one. . .

Under all circumstances, Dremels are 'convenience' tools in this hobby, IMHO. The type of building I do, heavy on vacuforms, resin kits, conversions and ill-fitting kits, is greatly aided by my Dremel Minimite. Even were I not using resin, I'd still feel that way. Someone who concentrates on Tamiya and Hasegawa kits might be expected to use such a tool far less than I do. Likewise, someone whose primary aftermarket interest lies with resin/P.E. cockpit do-overs might not need a Dremel that much.

So, do you need a Dremel? Nah. Would you find it the best available tool for some tasks you do regularly? Probably. To the extent you stick to box-stock kits, it will probably take longer to justify the purchase of a Dremel (or similar rotary tool), but eventually the convenience will probably pay out.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Noone really needs a Dremel. There's nothing that you cannot do with some other tool. It's just that you can goof much faster with a Dremel.

Reply to
Serge D. Grun

If you look at it only for the hobby, probably not (unless you start getting into shorter run kits, in which case it makes a few things a little easier.)

If you look at it as a multiple use tool for everything, sure.

Reply to
EGMcCann

"Digital_Cowboy" wrote in news:Xns95D3990EB66EDnobodynobodycom@24.168.128.86:

If you don't think you'll use it enough to justify the price try looking for a set in a thrift store. Got my Craftsman rotary tool, compatible with all Dremel attachments, for $15 with all sorts of attachments and gizmos.

TF

Reply to
TForward

TF,

That sounds like it may be the best way to go. Is there a particular model (number) I should look for?

Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

As a full time hobby tool, mine gets very little use. For those 1001 'around the house' uses, it has been pretty indespensible (specially with flex shaft)

-- Chuck Ryan snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEearthlink.net Springfield OH

Reply to
Charles Ryan

Most modelers don't *need* a Dremel (or similar motorized tool), but it can be useful for some tasks.

The main thing you might be able to use it for is drilling holes in those starships for fiber optics and LEDs. You can do the same with a pin vise, but that can be tedious if you're drilling a lot of holes.

A circular saw blade makes it easier to cut doors or panels that you want to open up. But if you want to use the door/panel that you're cutting out, you have to be careful; a motorized tool makes it very easy to cut too far or to deviate from the cutting line.

If you build resin models, a saw blade or cutting disc is even more useful for removing those oversized sprues & pour plugs.

Grinding, carving, and sanding attachments can be useful for for major kit alterations or "battle damage", where you want to remove large amounts of plastic quickly. The sanding disks & drums are too coarse (60 and 120 grit) for normal sanding work on plastic models.

If you get a Dremel, make sure it's a variable-speed model. You have to run it at a low speed so it won't melt the plastic. (This doesn't apply to resin models.)

A flex-shaft on a Dremel makes it a lot easier to control, especially when drilling holes, and lets you keep a circular saw blade perpendicular to the surface.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

Depends on what you intend to do on your models, for some things yes they are a vaulable tool...Especially if you move up to Radio Controlled Models. I have two mini-drills, both different sizes and power output, neither of them are Dremel Make but just as good as (& a hell of a lot cheaper) They can both use Dremel attachments too. Since I have had mine I have used them both numerous times and still do for quite a few Jobs on R/C models as well as other little domestic jobs as mentioned elsewhere here. I would be lost without them now.

My main Mini-Drill is made by Precision Tools and is sold through B&Q stores in the UK...same size as the Dremel, Very powerful too and with variable speed. Here's the Difference though.....mine is only £15 new for the drill with 80 piece accessories kit. You can get it with a stand and flexi adaptor drive for £30....The Dremel is still £70 and you won't get half of what I got with mine.

Reply to
Mark Stevens

"Digital_Cowboy" wrote in news:Xns95D3DDB9C1569nobodynobodycom@24.168.128.74:

The model number of my Craftsman is 961059. It's variable speed with 5 fixed settings from 5k to 30k. I have a Dremel 3 ft extension tool attached to it, connects perfectly. I don't use it much but it works real well when I do. HTH.

TF

Reply to
TForward

I got the Dremel Minimite for about $30.00 if memory serves me, and the thirty or so attachments I have averaged around $2.50 each--some of those are not even for modeling tasks, but I've got about everything I could want, since I don't microdrill with the Minimite, reserving that work for a manual pin vise. So altogether I'm in at about 75 bucks, which takes into account 5+ years of purchasing attachments as needed. I appreciate that others here like to use the cord-driven Dremels, which may cost more, but I've found that 5K rpm and practice and care gives great results, while the small size and absence of the cord makes it very easy to handle. Now, I can't argue with someone who can buy an equivalent driver and accesories for less, if one assumes equivalent reliability, and yet I feel like I've had very good return on investment, especially considering the Dremel hasn't hiccupped once in those five years of fairly heavy use.

In any event, it is evident that the Dremel costs a whole lot more in the UK than it does here. In the larger question of whether any rotary tool is worth it, we're still back to the same consideration--is the convenience and speed worth the cost and the learning curve? I've found it is for the sort of stuff I do.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Dremel has a model called the MiniMite. It is a cordless unit with 2 speeds. I had a corded, more expensive, unit and it was too fast, melted the plastic. Someone here posted that the MiniMite was a better choice, and slow enough to work with plastic. Also Steve Zaloga (IIRC) recommends this unit in his books. It works for me. The MiniMite is also cheaper, and can use all the Dremel attacnments. You can get one in a hardware store or even Walmart. My son is now the proud owner of my old Dremel tool. HTH Chuck

Cfbush2000

Mine mainly get used for polishing brass rod masts these days. Once in a great while I put on a cutoff wheel and convert a standard tap to a bottoming tap or do the same to reuse a broken tap. Maybe once a year I out on a carbide burr and actually grind something on a model.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Yeah, I agree there Mark, My other mini-drill is a Como make as used to be distributed by MFA (Model Flight Accessories) here in the UK. I have had this at least 20 years now, possibly longer and it still works fine. It is not as powerful as the Larger one I have but is ideal for fine work. Both my drills are working overtime at the moment having got back into building R/C Models in a big way after a few years lay off from them. (One car being Custom built, 2 x Helicopters with Scale Fuselages and a Panzer V AUSF G Tank)....For the work I am doing on the models, these drills are making it so easy and the whole modelling thing a lot more pleasureable. After all, isn't that what it is about !

Reply to
Mark Stevens

I've used the MiniMite almost exclusively for over 10 years - my corded Dremel only gets used for heavy duty, non-modeling jobs.

I picked up a variation of the MiniMite, the model 760 just before Christmas. It's sold as a golf club cleaner, but it's mechanically identical to a MiniMite, with one difference. It uses a battery pack that holds 4 AA batteries instead of the NiCad battery pack the MiniMite uses. This means you can swap out batteries and keep working. This is cheaper than buying a spare battery pack for the MiniMite, and if you use rechargeable AA batteries, you can also use them for other portable equipment, radios, etc.

I bought mine at Lowe's, but I would suspect you can find them wherever other Dremel products are sold.

Remove "spamkill" from my e-mail address to reply.

Reply to
JRSJLS