Re: Trek Enterprise 1701 1/350

Just got mine. I've never seen the kit parts before now. My gawd it's

> frikken HUGE. Sweet though! > > TF >

Enjoy it while you can. The news I heard from the Toy Show in LV was that the RC/Ertl stand showed absolutely no new releases or plans for any from Polar Lights in the next year.

The 1/350 1701A may be their last hurrah.

RLM

Reply to
Robert McNay

that's really sucky news. Polar Lights had a great idea with the repops. Too bad the new owners can't see it our way.

Craig

Reply to
crw59

Yeah, you have to wonder how RC can't make money catering to Trek fans when Playing Mantis got the money for the Trek license by catering to Aurora fans.

(No offense intended to Aurora fans, but they are a fraction of the model sales to Trek fans (which, are, in turn, a tiny fraction of the sales to race car fans).)

Reply to
Jack Bohn

Reply to
teem

I've always believed the ONLY reason RC/Ertl bought Playing Mantis was to get their hands on the Johnny Lightning line, so they'd have a Not Wheels/Matchbox competitor.

Polar Lights and its licenses were just an unwanted part of the deal.

RLM

Reply to
Robert McNay

True, but those are AMT kits that they had the moldings laying around collecting dust for. No real investment was required except that they had to get the license back, which they did in the Playing Mantis deal.

I don't think RC/Ertl really wants to be in the model kit business. I'll bet they use it as a tax write-off against the NASCAR profits on the diecast end.

RLM

Reply to
Robert McNay

Robert, you have the same generally negative attitude about RC that I do. I think they'd love the plastic car business to go away. It's too bad they got their hands on Polar Lights.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I really don't like RC, this whole Playing Mantis thing is just repeated history. They did the same when they got their hands on AMT. Even on the diecast side, they seem to have a real disregard/disdain towards their customer base, even the NASCAR ones. They rarely communicate, the website is only sporadically updated and their customer service is the worst. Even at the old RCHTA show here in Chicago, the guys staffing the booth were very short on communication and had very little knowledge of the product line currently in production, let alone know anything about future stuff.

A mega-corp like Mattel communicates better then them.

RLM

Reply to
Robert McNay

Wayne wrote in news:43a79118$0$14693$5a62ac22@per-qv1- newsreader-01.iinet.net.au:

I got it from Federation Models, decent price too.

Reply to
yadda