Re: Way OT: Fun with Machine Guns...

buying the kits i couldn't afford as a child and buying kits i built poorly then is a rush. i satify a need a 12 year old had and couldn't scratch. also keeps me from having to drive miles in bad weather. just open the closet or box and daydream of what's next to build. the fact i'm a better modeler also makes me happy.

Reply to
someone

No......

Not till I have my Mg 34 first.

Tho to honest, I would be perfectly happy with an mint 1853 Enfield. Very happy..... (another Luger wouldn't hurt either lol...)

Reply to
AM

I probably will. I was shocked to find out that the community has no say in the number of parolees is has to accept, and that by law a certain percentage of new construction in town has to be set aside for low income - read "out-prison" - housing. We're becoming a dumping ground because it is relatively cheap to live here, and the County (and the State...) has a serious overcrowding problem in it's prison system. Maybe if they actually prevented crime that would go away...

Reply to
Rufus

Likewise...

Reply to
Rufus

Agreed. Not to mention that we're talking about a weapon. If there were any morality involved there wouldn't be any machine guns in the first place...so - no morality, no "obligation".

Furthermore, I don't see private property rights as a "libertarian" idea...it's just plain common sense that if someone owns something they have the absolute right to do with it as they please within the bounds of the law. And it makes even further common sense to remain vigilant and involved to insure that those laws don't trample the rights of ownership - and those are rights, not "privileges".

Reply to
Rufus

Well stated.

Reply to
Rufus

My point exactly...if something pleases you, and it's legal, and you have the means, do what you wish.

Reply to
Rufus

Only if I get to shoot it. I'll even buy my own ammo...

Reply to
Rufus

Damn right!

Reply to
Rufus

Personally, I'd like to have an MP-40. The heavy stuff is neat but I just can't think of a use for one as a plinker...let alone wanting to hump that sucker out to the range and back...all you vets that have been there and done that for real have my utmost respect.

...wouldn't pass up an opportunity to fire anything, though.

Reply to
Rufus

When I was a kid (1950s) our scout group went to Hunter's Point Naval Shpyard to tour a couple of ships. Somehow my mother had arranged to have a live MG demonstration for the kids. After a short history and safety talk we were each allowed to lay flat and fire off a couple of short bursts. Can you imagine dong that today?

We go to a friend's range once in awhile to use our rifles and hand guns. He always brings something interesting for us to try. Lynne is a better shot than I am, which is odd as she has terrible depth perception. Just a natural, I guess.

The only guns in my possession that have not been fired since I obtained them are a Sharp's "Buffalo Gun" and a very early Colt derringer. My favorte for target shooting is my Hi-Standard Model H-D Military .22 with the long barrel. For some reason my mother, who was a tiny lady, carried this when she was a cop durng WWII. Must have been the imposing look of the gun compared to her size.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

Well, OK. Obviously, the owner can destroy his property if he so wishes. That doesn't mean it's the smart thing to do. (I think I'm entitled to point this out.) From a strictly self-interested viewpoint, I *should* be cheering such people on, because the more other people destroy their MG's, the more valuable and rare *mine* become. I don't think that way, though.

It's ironic that some people think they can/should destroy MG's for fun. The end result is exactly the same as what the gun-grabbing Pollyannas want, which is to confiscate them so they can be melted down.

Here we are, struggling politically for the right to keep our guns, and some of us want to destroy them voluntarily through physical abuse. Go figure.

Reply to
Alexander Arnakis

Maybe you should...

One of my other hobbies is collecting pocket knives. Sometimes I find one that I've been missing, and then it's just heartbreaking to discover that the blade has been sharpened so many times that it's just half its original width.

It's just two different mentalities -- the "collector" mentality is totally different from the "user" mentality. I guess each side has trouble understanding the other.

Reply to
Alexander Arnakis

What are you saying here? That the "gun grabbers" actually have morality on their side? Tell me it isn't so!

I happen to believe in "morality," and to me that includes preserving the artifacts of the past for the sake of the future.

That's almost the definition of libertarianism. (Absolute property rights, minimal governmental intrusion.) Contrast that to "communitarianism."

Reply to
Alexander Arnakis

The postings on a single Internet user group are quite a narrow slice of community opinion.

I would say that anyone owning a gun should try to keep it in operating condition. The fact that it's *operable* doesn't necessarily mean that it *has* to be *operated*. In fact, excessive operation may lead to it prematurely becoming inoperable.

Reply to
Alexander Arnakis

Switzerland has universal military service. After men complete their active duty for training, they go into the reserves, taking with them their issued automatic rifle, which they keep at home, along with a supply of ammunition. They have to qualify with this weapon annually. When they get too old for service in the reserves, they have to turn in their automatic rifle -- although, in years past, they could exchange it for free for a bolt-action rifle.

People can also buy weapons on their own fairly easily, and in that case there's no requirement to qualify with them.

Reply to
Alexander Arnakis

No. I'm saying that if it were a moral issue and people actually paid attention to morals that there would probably be no guns to grab...or any weapon, for that matter. That in the light of morality, one should be destroying weapons and not preserving them...so leave morality out of the argument.

Almost ain't close enough...I'll stick to "common sense".

Reply to
Rufus

I'm afraid this thread has gone well beyond my interest.

Reply to
Bill Woodier

One last thing before I depart this thread.....I am left wondering why anyone in Switzerland would need a gun at all, let alone an automatic weapon? Seems to me it would get no use beyond the annual qualification you mention.

Reply to
Bill Woodier

I hear there isn't much breaking and entering in Switzerland...

Reply to
Rufus