RIP Another Hobby Shop Closing

Hi Gang
I was Just notified that Montour Hobby Center is going out of business.
They are having a one day sale Saturday February 23rd from 9am to 9pm.
On a personal note this now means I will have to drive almost an hour for my
hobby supplies.
They were very good about ordering special orders and holding them for me.
They will be missed in this area of central PA.
Montour Hobby Center
328 Crawford Alley
Montoursville, PA 17754
Reply to
Barry F
on 2/16/2008 11:41 AM Barry F said the following:
I have to drive about an hour to find a decent model shop. For me, that represents about 3.5 gallons of gas at ~$3.00 a gallon. I find it cheaper to buy online, pay less than gas for shipping, and wait a couple of days for delivery. That's just the way it is now-a-days.
Reply to
willshak
Dont complain about having to drive at $3 i have to drive and at eq of about $8's....
My local model shop is shit (cos of the owner) but cant afford to drive to the next as its about 30 miles away...by the time i drive there and back, i cant afford to buy owt!
Reply to
Jules
I'm in a simialr situation but the two shops in Pensacola, Bobe's and John's, are worth the trip. I look at it this way. The ability to actually see the kits and books before purchase means I'm not disappointed by an online order that doesn't live up to expectations. And I find stuff I didn't realize I needed.
Reply to
Curt
Hey Curt - A fellow Pensacolian! Bobe's really is a good shop 'And I find stuff I didn't realize I needed.' - that happens to me at the homebrew shop, but that's another group!
Mike
- Curt wrote:
Reply to
Shanghai McCoy
You have my condolences. The nearest really decent shop to here is now AAA Hobbies (AKA the front half of Stevens International) in New Jersey and it is 79 miles one way.
Cookie Sewell
Reply to
AMPSOne
there is a crappy shop and hour away and a good one 2 1/4. so driving isn't worth it except when i'm going that way anyway or when i have to have a hobby store fix.
Reply to
someone
Yep. Used to be 4 or 5 shops in this county. Now there's 'almost' one. There are kits there but they're shoved into the back corner to make room for all the r/c, packaged trains, die-cast cars, kites and what-not. It's easier to order through Squadron for the hard core model stuff and get the regular model stuff (paint, brushes, etc.) at Michael's. The next-best bet is a shop I've heard of over in York but have not seen yet. Alas, that's 30 miles away and I haven't time or money to check it out.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
Reply to
Mad-Modeller
The only model paints my Michaels sells are the small 1/4 oz. square Testors enamels and some Testors spray cans. Of course, there is a shitload of 2 oz. folk art acrylics by various manufacturers, if you want to mix your own colors.
Reply to
willshak
snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote in news:oULtj.243332$ snipped-for-privacy@fe02.news.easynews.com:
Here we pay EURO 1,40 per liter. That is regular unleaded 95 octane. which (if my conversions are right) is about $5.50/gallon
Reply to
Bert-Jan
which country is that? its about the same in UK, but with the £ to the $ about half...its more like 8-9$ me thinks
Reply to
Jules
We do have a AC Moore nearby but they only have a smattering of kits and will not special order. They do carry some paint and supplies useful to modelers but mostly by accident and primarily for other hobbies. We are supposed to get a Michaels' when the new shopping center goes in and I'm really hoping for a Hobbytown or other large chain to come in. (Good Luck there). English railroading has some supplies but again that is mostly by accident as they are solely a model railroad shop. Other than mail-order now will have to drive to Bloomsburg or Sunbury for the two remaining hobby shops within 100 miles that I know about. Will have to see if there are any others further a field maybe State College (Go Lions) or Harrisburg.
Reply to
Barry F
"Jules" wrote in news:IVWtj.102131$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk:
I live in the Netherlands. It was a very quick conversion/calculation. I could be wrong, but I know I DREAM about the US petrol prices!!
Reply to
Bert-Jan
I have driven all over EU inc NL (i am again with my dog in 2 months) and the price is almost the same as UK prices...so i think im pretty close, but a EU litre/gallon is 4.546 litres a little differant to US gallon..but still much cheaper!
My next Euro trip, i work out the fuel will cost me about 800EU!!!!!! I goto Italy, then North all around Germany, to Denmark then back towards UK....about 6000 km...
Reply to
Jules
I don't think there's much in Harrisburg but there is a shop in Camp Hill. I'm afraid I have no street address for you on that. I've never been there.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
Reply to
Mad-Modeller
Yes, the Testors colours are what I meant as the other shop only has some Model Master colours. They don't carry any of the regular items. Since some paint is almost always used on a model I find it handy to get it at Michael's. The next best bet is the railroad hobby shop in Manheim, farther out than the 'hobby shop'.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
Reply to
Mad-Modeller
Is that shop in Mechanicsburg still open? I was there (on a visit) several years back and it appeared to be fairly well stocked, although I only spent a few minutes there. I think the name was J.P.'s or something like that.
Reply to
The Old Man
There's one about an hour from me, in Jackson, Ms. or there was a year or 2 ago. A Hobbytown, IIRC. There hasn't been one in my town, Vicksburg, in about 20 years, & it wasn't the greatest thing then. Unless I'm going to the north side of Jackson, I don't go to Hobbytown. If I do & I have time, I'll stop in & usually pick up some paints or something & look. Since I've been online for about 10 years, the bulk of my kit buying is online, either thru eBay or online shops. Way easier than driving & usually cheaper.
Reply to
frank
Combining two threads, A modeling friend of mine was at the meeting of a local club last week, and folks were bemoaning the decision by Wal-Mart to drop models from their shelves. He said, so what, why do you need to buy your models at Wal-Mart? Several said, "they are much cheaper there than in the hobby shops." So my friend said, "then you have no qualms about putting your local hobby shops out of business." That started quite a lively discussion.
Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Site Timeline