Serves me right for being a cheap-o...

Hello there.

I'm in the process of finishing an ICM P-51A that I converted (more or less) to an early Mustang Mk.I, and after all the surgery on the wings, guns and ammo chutes I finally got to attaching the fiddly bits. I wasn't sure whether to attach the flaps and main gear doors in closed or dropped position, as I wanted some movement but the Allison-engined Mustangs yadda yadda yadda... you know. In the end however, I decided to depict the model with all the underwear drooping just a tad, because the flaps fit horribly in the 'up' position, but ICM had other ideas. There are no main gear doors. At first I thought I had cut them away already, but they weren't in the 'in progress' tray. I looked at the sprues in utter astonishment. I blinked - twice. I looked at the sprue identification drawings on the instruction - zilch. I looked at the build sequence. No gear doors are anywhere to be seen. In 16 years, I have seen the occasional 'forgotten' part, but this seems too big to me. Anyone else has built this kit, ICM48161, and encountered the same problem? Or was mine an extremely rare, test-shot, priceless example and I wasted (=built) it?

BTW I made two gear doors in no time, from stock card, and they look OK. Still... >:-(

Ciao Bonehammer

Reply to
Bonehammer

The Accurate kit wasn't enough of a challenge?

Reply to
Tom Cervo

Pretty sure this "oversight" has been noted before.

Reply to
Wildcat

That's a first in my book. Unless the decal scheme called for an a/c that had them removed (mud, etc.) How's the engine? Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Yes sir. They never tooled them so they are not there. You did not misplace them!

Cheers, Max Bryant

Reply to
Max Bryant

Answering to myself to answer to everyone: ICM was the only game in town when I bought it, more or less two years ago... and I would've bought it anyway. Having to do some serious bashing to the wings with little reference to hold on to, I thought, 'better screw up with something cheap'. I have never seen a review of the P-51A but the doors seem to be there and nicely done on the P-51B:

I have never seen a Mustang with the main gear doors removed, did it happen? I guess it would make the whole 'laminar flux wing' moot. Also, there is no engine with this kit. I don't know whether ICM included their wonderfully tooled Merlin in the P-51D kit.

Ciao Bonehammer

Reply to
Bonehammer